Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Leaving Home at 17 in Louisiana

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: LOUISIANA

My question is: Why are answer's given on this site "not" verified first?
    I must say that I am VERY disappointed in the answers given to 17 yr olds on here by Senior Members. Every State is different. Louisiana may be 18 for the age of majority BUT, it is 17 for the age of license. As a legal term of art, "license" means "permission", and it can implicate a legally enforceable right or privilege.
    I know FROM experience that the age is 17! I live in Louisiana and I left home at 17 and my father called the police. But the police told my father and I that they could do NOTHING. I am 50 now, but I recently in the last month called the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Dept and asked what was the legal age in the State of Louisiana for a child to leave home and it is STILL 17.
    So, please check with the police dept in each state to find out the legal age someone can leave home. Some of these kids have good reason's for wanting to move out and they need to be told the correct answer.
    If for some reason that you doubt what I say, then please feel free to call the sheriff dept at 225-389-5000 and they will confirm what I say.

Default Re: Leaving Home at 17 in Louisiana

There is no need for hostility.
    Actually I do know what it means. It is to be free from restraint, influence, or the like.
    I know that "leaving home" is not being emancipated by court or by parents, but by definition it means the same thing. But the main reason that I posted under "emancipation" is because that is the subject that most these teens have been posting their questions about leaving home under.
    Beside the fact that I do my homework, I dated a Sheriff here at 22 and then ended up marrying a city police officer at 32. And my mother works for State Police of Louisiana. So, I do know something's about Louisiana law.
    And to answer your other question, I am registered on this site because I live in America which "the last time I checked" is still a free Country. And so is freedom of speech.
    Besides, I like helping the underdog. Which in this case is teens.

Great. Then post Louisiana statute relevant to emancipation.

Otherwise....it's probably best not to post unless you know what you're talking about.

And freedom of speech? Doesn't apply to an internet forum, my friend
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Don't hate. I do know what I'm talking about.
    Call it what you will, but it is what it is. A 17 yr old can leave home in Louisiana without fear of being in trouble with the law. And they do not have to have a job or their own place. They can live with a relative or friend. Now I don't know bout you, but that sounds like being free from restraint(emancipated) to me. No matter how the "statue" reads. The age of majority does not apply here for leaving home and a 17 yr old does not have to be emancipated by the court. But nevermind, because I have read a lot of your post and it is apparent that you have to be right and you must have the last word. So go ahead, I will let you have the last word. Repost.......

P.S. I reposted under "Juenile law" Does that make you feel better?

I believe it is explained in, oh, several hundred threads that the maximum age of jurisdiction for a state's juvenile courts can create a context in which, as the courts cannot process a status offense for a seventeen-year-old, the police won't attempt to force a seventeen-year-old runaway to return home. Even in such a state, police department policies may vary - so while your Parish sheriff may feel free to let you run wild, another might drop you off with mommy and daddy even if you scream the whole way home that you're going to run away again the minute the deputy leaves.

So basically, after the age of 17, running away isn't taken too seriously?

Depends entirely on the town/municipality/parents/police force. You can bet that if the 17 year old son of the mayor of the town pressures the chief of police hard enough, said chief will see that sonny comes home.

Thank you for that information aaron. But some of us don't have time to read through several hundred threads. And the threads that I did read through, everytime the Senior member responded to the the question of leaving home at 17 in Louisiana, they told the teens that "they COULD NOT without parents permission or that the police would drag them home. That just is not true in Louisiana.
    And they may have some that are just running wild, BUT there are some teens that are mentally abused and intimidated so much so that they need to move out for their own sanity and self confidence.
    I only posted my thread so that teens in Louisiana would know the truth, yet I have recieved hostile and defensive replys. Just like "Dogmatique's" first reply to my thread(which was deleted) which was between my first and second post. The one that said:
    "And why.........are you registered here??? And do you even know what emancipation means?"
    I am confused about the hostility. I am not here to step on anyones toes.

"Nearly There"
    Call the sheriff dept for yourself and ask them so that you will feel more comfortable. Do it from a pay phone if you don't want to use your own. They will tell you that the legal age for leavig home in Louisiana is 17.

And then you can ask the sheriff departments where they went to law school.

The fact that some sheriff departments will not drag home every 17 year old is no guarantee that every 17 year old in Louisiana is going to be allowed to move out at 17.

The age of majority in LA is 18. You can look it up.

Please reread my first post. It has nothing to do with the age of majority. It has to do with the age of license. For example: the age of majority in Louisiana is 18, BUT the age of license for "DRINKING" is 21. Which means even though we are at the age of majority at 18 we still can not drink legally. And the age of license for LEAVING HOME is 17. We can legally leave home at 17. It is what it is!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast