Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: LIDAR Defense.if There is One

Just so you are aware - infrared LIDAR does not LOCK ON anything. Rapidly pulsed beams of infrared light are reflected off of the moving target back to the instrument. The difference in the amount of time the pulses take to reflect back to the instrument is calculated to determine SPEED and DISTANCE. It only takes about 1/3rd of a second to get a reading. The aiming reticle allows the operator to see which target he is aiming at. There are many highly reflective surfaces on a motor vehicle, the license plate usually being the most desirable target due to its reflectivity. A car's headlights are also very reflective, along with chrome trim and bumpers. Because a plate is missing does not mean that a reading cannot be obtained.

I'm not looking for cheerleaders of any sort. I made a point about LIDAR that is factually true. It is supposed to be aimed at the plate for maximum accuracy. Page 9.

www.stalkerradar.com/pdf/lidarmanual.pdf

I'm not big on tit-for-tat arguments, so I'll leave it at that.

The last point I made, when contesting a ticket, absolutely everything is skewed in their favor. They even have free representation from the state. A civilian does not on traffic tickets. There is no distance on the citation (wonder why that is), no plates were present, LIDAR was used through the windshield (not supposed to be done according to manufacturer)...well, LIDAR doesn't ever "lie", it is the most high-tech speed capturing device in history and anyone who challenges that is completely wrong and just trying to get out of the ticket.....you get the point.

It does seem skewed and it is to a degree. You are free to represent yourself or obtain legal representation. If there is no distance or exact location of the officer in relation to yours on the ticket that may help your case. The no license plate argument is likely going to get you no where. Shooting the LIDAR through the cruiser windshield will need more than just your word. You'll need to get the officer to make that statement under oath. Good luck with whatever you try.

Quote Quoting lurkertom
    View Post
    Just so you are aware - infrared LIDAR does not LOCK ON anything. Rapidly pulsed beams of infrared light are reflected off of the moving target back to the instrument. The difference in the amount of time the pulses take to reflect back to the instrument is calculated to determine SPEED and DISTANCE. It only takes about 1/3rd of a second to get a reading. The aiming reticle allows the operator to see which target he is aiming at. There are many highly reflective surfaces on a motor vehicle, the license plate usually being the most desirable target due to its reflectivity. A car's headlights are also very reflective, along with chrome trim and bumpers. Because a plate is missing does not mean that a reading cannot be obtained.
    Again, it is greatly diminished. The point is to raise reasonable doubt to the judge. Not try to get into some discussion of the exact pulse-diode frequency of LIDAR.

Read about LIDAR vehicle detection, LIDAR tracking. Some even bill themselves as working both ways, having a non-lock vs lock mode. There's several different kinds of LIDAR guns. That's why I said earlier it would be beneficial to know the exact model, and my questions about discovery were partially regarding that.

Quote Quoting lostintime
    View Post
    Again, it is greatly diminished. The point is to raise reasonable doubt to the judge. Not try to get into some discussion of the exact pulse-diode frequency of LIDAR.

Read about LIDAR vehicle detection, LIDAR tracking. Some even bill themselves as working both ways, having a non-lock vs lock mode. There's several different kinds of LIDAR guns. That's why I said earlier it would be beneficial to know the exact model, and my questions about discovery were partially regarding that.
    Did that...and I am familiar with not only how they work but how they can be misused. It all boils down to which testimony the magistrate believes is more reliable. Dazzle him with brilliance, don't baffle him with bullshit. As I said good luck with whatever defense strategy you choose to use.

Off topic..but still related question.

Is is true, in some states, if you contest the ticket, and lose, you can be forced to pay a much greater fine? What is the reason for this?

Quote Quoting lostintime
    View Post
    Off topic..but still related question.

Is is true, in some states, if you contest the ticket, and lose, you can be forced to pay a much greater fine? What is the reason for this?
    Perhaps if you lose you have to pay for court costs ... or, the courts are more inclined to impose the higher end of the fine's scale.

Laws vary by state, and rules vary by court.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Appreciated replies. Next...is it worth it obtaining discovery - and how do I go about it? I don't want to give away any defenses.

It doesn't say anywhere on my citation about responding that I will show up in court. It just has a date/time, but not a court room number. Are you typically supposed to call the court ahead of time?

Default Re: What are the Defenses to a LIDAR Ticket

To begin with, lidar or better known as Laser, is NOT accurate. A case in NJ showed that a specfic unit had a 18.6 mph off (against the defendant). Basicall the int. unit uses least square of regression method, for 60% of the pulses for a +/- 3 ft accuracy. Whereas, the balance is avoid, in otherword the prob. is high as far as accuracy. Next, air, glass reflex. of the said glass is also a factor (check snells equations) to verfy this action. Also weather also plays games with the laser beam (H20). Look at the article on this site entitle Traffic Tickets. Search the web for Laser calcuations from the same author.

Default Re: What are the Defenses to a LIDAR Ticket

Quote Quoting perry1180
    View Post
    To begin with, lidar or better known as Laser, is NOT accurate. A case in NJ showed that a specfic unit had a 18.6 mph off (against the defendant). Basicall the int. unit uses least square of regression method, for 60% of the pulses for a +/- 3 ft accuracy. Whereas, the balance is avoid, in otherword the prob. is high as far as accuracy. Next, air, glass reflex. of the said glass is also a factor (check snells equations) to verfy this action. Also weather also plays games with the laser beam (H20). Look at the article on this site entitle Traffic Tickets. Search the web for Laser calcuations from the same author.
    Which NJ case is that? And what makes you think that a case in NJ would be binding in Iowa?
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast