Default Brick Wall Over Property Line

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Tennessee
    We have live in our house for 19 years. It had a inground pool with a brick wall built around the pool when we bought it. We are considering selling our home and my husband looked at the paperwork concerning our deed, lot, property lines etc. It seems that part of our brick wall could be a foot over the property line. The property line tapers so the wall is not a foot over the whole way down, just a small section. My husband feels that we need to tell prospective buyers this and offer some money to our neighbors. They are not the original neighbors that were there when we purchased the house. Our relationship with these neighbors has been very strained due to their playing music so loud that our walls shook and other issues. I am afraid that this would put them in a position to demand whatever price they wanted to demand us to tear down thousands of dollars of brick work and tear up an inground pool because there is barely any room between the edge of the pool and the wall. What should we do? I am afraid that if we let potential buyers know this fact it will open a huge can of worms.

Default Re: Brick Wall Over Property Line

If your husband is totally certain about the location of the property line, you may have a problem, and you may have a solution.

But the first thing I would do if I were you would be to determine if you have an actual problem, and you would do that by having a local registered surveyor determine the actual line on the ground. If you decide to do this, let me know as I have some more advice regarding a survey.

If the line turns out to be located as you think, you might have a claim on the property you are encroaching upon.

There is no space here to go into all of the details, but this link is a fairly complete and well written take on Tennessee law:

http://www.plsurvey.com/adverse.htm

A survey is the first step, whether you want to negotiate with the neighbor, sue the neighbor, or find out you actually do own the brick wall.

Good Luck!

Smile Re: Brick Wall Over Property Line

Thank you for your response! That article made me feel much better!

1. Sponsored Links