Default Can You Resell Items Purchased with Coupons to Individuals

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: FL

Can you legally re-sell items purchased with coupons? Many people in this area have garage sales and re-sell items from their coupon's "stockpiles" for a profit. If you report this income, pay sales tax at the end of the year, file a garage sale permit, and do not sell items where the coupon fine print reads that you cannot resell the item, is this still legal?

Default Re: Can You Resell Items Purchased with Coupons to Individuals

maybe I'm just not an informed person but what kind of merchandise can you purchase with what kind of coupon?
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

You'll have to give us an example, but generally suck restrictions are unenforceable. Once an item legitimately enters the retail stream via a sale, the seller/manufactuer loses all say as to what can be done with it subsequently. You do need to be careful to not pass it off as new (though a garage sale isn't likely to have that issue).

An example of what I am talking about would be to buy toothpaste on sale for $.99, use a $1.00 of coupon and get the item for free after the sale and use of the coupon. Then you would sell it to a consumer for $1.00, giving them a great deal without having to go to the store or cut coupons and also making yourself $1.00 profit. Would this type of transaction be OK? It is all mostly health, beauty and pet items that are purchased this way for little or no money by combining sales and coupons together.

yes, that is fine. It meets the first sale requirement Mr. K spoke of.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

Quote Quoting dee
    View Post
    Then you would sell it to a consumer for $1.00, giving them a great deal without having to go to the store or cut coupons and also making yourself $1.00 profit.
    How is that a great deal to the consumer? You were charged 99˘ before your coupon so unless your store is just closer, and they don't need something else from a bigger store, they are not getting a good deal. They are, in fact, losing 1˘.

But, goofy rationales aside, you are golden to resell the otems.

Well, I was speaking about selling items at a garage sale, not a store, so it would be something that may be available down the street versus a shopping plaza. That was just a bad example anyway. I know people who get nice razors for next to nothing, which rarely happens for the "average shopper" who is not all about the coupons, and then re-sells the razors that normally go for $9.99 for $3.00. So THIS is a better example of a good deal. I was just throwing numbers out there without giving a real-life example just to show what I was trying to say. Toothpaste is rarely just $.99 on sale without a coupon. Plus if you are avoiding traffic, time and energy to get to the store, you are still coming out ahead anyway with the cost of gas and your time. Hopefully this makes more sense than my last example.

And thank you to flyingron and jk for replying to my post and clarifying the matter for me!

1. Sponsored Links