Default Loaned Money to a Friend

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Florida

This may be the wrong forum but what do I do with a friend that I loaned money to who is trying to not pay me back or hold onto it as long as possible. I said I need it back by Friday in the morning. He says legally he can hold onto it until 11:59, which he plans to, then mail it at the post office stamped before noon to show he 'tried' to pay me on time. We live in the same building and he can just pay me by cash or check himself but he'd rather try to avoid paying me all together. Can I sue him for anything? Say I do not get the money by Friday or the check bounces when I try to cash it, will I be able to sue for anything?

Default Re: Loaned Money to a Friend

This is the wrong forum but it will get moved to the proper place. Your civil rights have not been violated.

Quote Quoting Whiterhino
    View Post
    Can I sue him for anything?
    Absent a written agreement that he will hand you the money at a specific time and place, he is free to mail it to you. Did you tell him when you loaned him the money that your needed to be paid back by Friday morning or after? If after, and there is no agreement as to when he has to repay you, then he can drag this out for a long time.

Quote Quoting Whiterhino
    View Post
    Say I do not get the money by Friday or the check bounces when I try to cash it, will I be able to sue for anything?
    If the check bounces, you might be able to sue him in small claims court possibly or maybe even prosecute him for passing a bad check, assuming you can prove he knew the check was bad. If you had no agreement as to when you were to be paid back, you can't really sue if he takes an extra day or three to pay you.

Incidentally, did you not know your "friend" was a deadbeat d-bag prior to loaning him money? Once you get the money, I think you need to cross him off your Christmas card list.

We specified he owes me money before Friday Morning. I have to leave to go back at home at Friday afternoon. He knows this, instead of handing me a check or cash he says hes going to have to mail me the check because I want it by friday morning, and that hes going to deduct the shipping charges (or half) with me from the check. He says he will buy the most expensive expedited shipping he can and deduct that from the amount of money hes supposed to pay me back (just to be vindictive). Can he legally do this? I tell him to pay me back after Friday morning if he absolutely has to but he says he does not want to be in breech of the contract. (he just wants me to have to drive back home without getting the 60 dollars)

also we live in the same house. if he does mail the check after 11:59 am noon can I sue him for breech of contract? What could my damages be and even if he breeches contract that doesnt make him liable to pay me it all back immediately, so what then?

also can i refuse to pay shipping charges, what if i tell him im going to refuse to pay shipping charges. what if he refuses to send the check then to my primary residence. can i sue him for everyday after Friday that he still held onto my money?

thing just escalated with said friend. we made an agreement if he doesnt pay me back i get his LCD monitor as collateral. Now he is saying i cant take it from him i have to file a judgment and have the police take it from him as collateral. Also he told me everytime I touch a piece of furniture in a common area that id have to pay him 5 dollars. I told him i dont agree to that and touched it a few times repeatedly and hes like you owe me 5 dollars for everytime your hand touched that. i specifically told him i dont agree to that and hes claiming its his furniture , even if that is true, can he really enforce that?

Quote Quoting Whiterhino
    View Post
    Also he told me everytime I touch a piece of furniture in a common area that id have to pay him 5 dollars. I told him i dont agree to that and touched it a few times repeatedly and hes like you owe me 5 dollars for everytime your hand touched that. i specifically told him i dont agree to that and hes claiming its his furniture , even if that is true, can he really enforce that?
    Are you and your friend older or younger than 12?

And how much money does he owe you?
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

(he just wants me to have to drive back home without getting the 60 dollars)
    All of this fuss and bother over 60 bones? Really?

Also he told me everytime I touch a piece of furniture in a common area that id have to pay him 5 dollars. I told him i dont agree to that and touched it a few times repeatedly and hes like you owe me 5 dollars for everytime your hand touched that. i specifically told him i dont agree to that and hes claiming its his furniture , even if that is true, can he really enforce that?
    Your friend is an idiot. This is all nonsense.

Realistically, I don't see you getting your $60 back without taking him to court for it - provided you even have any evidence of an agreement with him. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle by letting this go, calling it a lesson learned, and associating yourself with a better class of friend.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links