Default Towing on Private Property

My question involves towing laws for the State of: Maryland

Hello,

In my development, which has a self-owned homeowners association, all of the visitors parking spaces are occupied by other owners with multiple cars on a permanent basis. In some cases the cars are never moved and/or have expired registrations. In other cases, one household has 4 vehicles parked in the spaces in which they go days without moving. The towing company that tows on the property won't tow any of those cars because it is a private property. What can I do and are they in violation of MD law or does it not apply because it is a private?

Also, my car was towed on the property because I doubled parked blocking in my two private parking spaces. I didn't expect I could get towed if I were not blocking other cars that would complain, especially since it is a private property (per the tow co. in the previous issue). Do I have any rights regarding that and/or what is the MD law prohibiting double parking? Is there specific information I should request from the tow company?

Thanks!
    BC

Default Re: Towing on Private Property

Quote Quoting charlee
    View Post
    The towing company that tows on the property won't tow any of those cars because it is a private property.
    That statement doesn't make any sense. If they are "The towing company that tows on the property" then obviously they do tow vehicles from the property.
    Quote Quoting charlee
    What can I do and are they in violation of MD law or does it not apply because it is a private?
    Is who in violation of Maryland law by doing what? Is it against the law for somebody renting an apartment to park in the apartment parking lot? Obviously not. There may be restrictions in the lease, but we have no access to the lease and you haven't shared any of the lease terms with us.
    Quote Quoting charlee
    Also, my car was towed on the property because I doubled parked blocking in my two private parking spaces. I didn't expect I could get towed if I were not blocking other cars that would complain, especially since it is a private property (per the tow co. in the previous issue).
    I guess you were wrong. I can't say that I'm surprised.
    Quote Quoting charlee
    Do I have any rights regarding that and/or what is the MD law prohibiting double parking?
    You can look up Maryland statutes here. In terms of when you can be towed, if you're in Baltimore City or Baltimore County, read Transportation Code, Section 21, Subtitle 10A. Otherwise check your local ordinances.
    Quote Quoting charlee
    Is there specific information I should request from the tow company?
    "How soon can I get my car back, and how much do I owe"?

1. Sponsored Links