Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caught Shoplifting at Wal-Mart in Georgia

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia

I was caught shoplifting at Wal-Mart. As I was about to leave the store I was approached by the Loss Prevention and they took me to a room. I cooperated with them fully I took the items out of my purse that I was planning on stealing, which totaled to a value of about $35.They also had my on video. They took my information like my drivers licence, SSN etc. and my picture was taken. The police then arrived, but because I pleaded with them they didn't take me to jail. Instead the officer wrote me ticket and told me I would get a letter in the mail telling me when my court date would be. He also explained to me that since I was fingerprinted or anything this would not be on my record, Is this true?

My other questions are:
    What should I expect when I go to court?

Should I plea guilty, not guilty, nolo?

What kind of punishment should I expect?

Do I need to get a lawyer or public defender?

BTW, I have had no prior convictions what so ever.

Thanks ahead of time to any one willing to give advice.

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting at Wal-Mart in Georgia

Plead not guilty. Ask for a public defender (unless you can afford a private lawyer).

Punishment....it varies by state/county...but expect court costs, fines. Possibly probation, community service, or anti-shoplifting class (all with fees).

The store will also send a Civil Demand letter, this is separate from the criminal charges.

As you have court, you likely will be ordered for fingerprinting, mugshot, and a permanent record.

Thanks for replying, PandorasBox. I forgot to mention that they made me write a statement about what I did. Should I still plea guilty? Because obviously I am and wouldn't look bad to the judge that I'm not owning up to it? And the cop was making it seem that since he was just writing me up a citation that I most likely I was just going to get a fine because I have nothing on my record.

If you plead guilty, you leave the judges hands tied as to your sentence. If you plead not guilty, usually a plea agreement will be offered, in which you plea guilty to a lesser charge.

ok I see. So, from what I read my first appearance will be an arraignment and no evidence will be heard. I'm just told what my charge is etc. Is this right? Also when I take the plea bargain, is there a chance I can get it off my record? Because that is what I'm worried about the most. I willing to own to what I did, but having this one very stupid mistake possibly effecting my future school and career plans is stressing me out.

Thanks again for replying...

Arraignment will tell you your charge, and when you enter your plea. This is also when you should ask for a Public Defender (unless you can afford a private attorney).

Sometimes, you may be offered then a plea deal or diversion program at this time.

Plan on having a record unless you get into a Diversion Program that will seal the record upon completion of the terms (community service, probation, stuff like that).

If you get a plea deal...it still looks a lot better to have something like "Disturbing the Peace" on your record instead of "Retail Fraud".

ok I see. You don't understand how much you eased my tension about this. Hopefully, this being my first (and only) offense, the judge will offer the diversion program.

Also, before I left the store the LP gave me a letter saying that if I don't won't Wal-mart to contact me about civil issue, I should contact them first. Should I just wait for them to contact me or should I just get it over with?

I'd wait for them to contact you.

Quote Quoting Lilly6295
    View Post
    ok I see. You don't understand how much you eased my tension about this. Hopefully, this being my first (and only) offense, the judge will offer the diversion program.

Also, before I left the store the LP gave me a letter saying that if I don't won't Wal-mart to contact me about civil issue, I should contact them first. Should I just wait for them to contact me or should I just get it over with?
    The letter you received was a civil restitution notice.
    Basically you'll have to pay the store back for the amount of the merchandise you stole.
    They'll send you another letter which will tell you how much you owe the store
    So just wait..

Civil Demand laws vary by state.

Usually the formula is (Amount stolen) times a certain amount. There's a minimum and maximum set.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast