Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Shoplifting at JCPenney

My question involves criminal law for the state of: FL
    I feel really badly about what i did. I was shopping at JC Penney and got caught stealing a pair of earrings ( $60.00) I have never in my life broken any laws and never will ever again. This has caused me so much stress, can't sleep or eat and have not told any one because I feel so ashamed of myself. I'm a single mother with 3 teens that i love so much and have always tried to take them in the right direction. All I cant think of was my kids when they pulled me into that room, and I thought my life was over.
    They told me they had me on video, took my picture, called the police and made a CD, when the police arrived he took my license and ran it, since it was my first offence ever, he told me to sign 2 papers and gave me a court date (5/17/2011) He also explained if I missed court I could have a warrant for my arrest, which I do not intend to do. Believe me I would do anything to correct this mistake. I'm so scared of going to jail, or loosing my job or even for them to find out about it
    -would I have a criminal record on file?
    -can Jc penney inform my employer of this?
    -would I need to hire a lawyer?
    Really any advise would be greatly appreciated!
    =(

Default Re: Shoplifting at JCPenney

You would have a criminal record.

J.C. Penney could inform your employer, since crimes are public. I doubt that they would.

I suggest getting an attorney, such as a Public Defender. Since this is your first time, the attorney may be able to cut some kind of deal.

Florida may have some kind of expungement law, allowing you to eventually get this crime off your record, as far as businesses are concerned. (Generally, the FBI can still see expunged records.)

Life goes on...

If you're convicted you will have a criminal record. The arrest record would certainly be filed somewhere but it's not something to get too worked up over. Most people can't see that.

JCPenny won't tell your employer (unless you work for them), they will however likely report you to the National Retail Theft Database which if you work for a larger retailer, will come back to you.

I would definitely recommend a lawyer.

Thanks for taking the time and responding to me Flyingron I really Appreciate it. I have been at a Bank for 9 years.
    I have another questions about the pics they took of me, would that be posted any where? newspaper? their store maybe?
    I'm so sorry for what I did, I started writing a letter of apology to JC Penney, I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do in this early stage.
    what would you recommend? and thanks again!

No. That letter could be used later as an Admission of Guilt.

Quote Quoting Iwouldneveragain
    I'm so sorry for what I did, I started writing a [confession] to JC Penney, I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do in this early stage.
    what would you recommend?
    I recommend not confessing. You can always confess later, as part of a plea bargain, if need be.

You will not be entered into the theft database. Your job will be fine. Get a lawyer so that you can reduce the impact this has on you. Do not apologize until your court date (tell the courts you are sorry). And JCP does not have a trespass policy but stay out of their stores.

Also, stop stressing. Hundreds of thousands of people get caught shoplifting each year. Let us know how your court goes.
    Not worth my time...

Your picture will not be posted in the newspaper. It is not impossible that it will be posted somewhere in the stores, but if it is it will not be for the general public, but for the employees so they will know that you have stolen from them in the past.

Quote Quoting bam!
    Do not apologize until your court date
    That doesn't make sense.

An apology is a confession.

Why confess and go to trial?

Do one or the other. Not both.

I don't know what the laws are in Fl but i know of someone that stole a cologne from JCP in texas and they didnt contact his employer nor put pictures up, but they did ban him for a year. He had to take an anti-theft class and community service and paid court fees.. As far as your children finding out as long as you can keep it hidden you'll be fine.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast