Default Can There Legally Be a Lien Holder on My Vehicle if I Owe Nothing on the Vehicle

My question involves an auto loan or repossession in the State of: Texas

My father purchased a vehicle for me from a dealership, we were both present during the time of purchase, there are no existing loans or money owed on the car, it was purchased in the full amount. All paperwork was done in my name as though I were the purchaser and the title was put in my name as well, he insisted that his name be put on the title as a lein holder, I asked him if this meant I was in debt in any way and he said "no" as did the title paperwork guy that filled everything out with us. There were no written or verbal agreements to pay on the vehicle at any time. Now he is trying to reposses my vehicle out of spite. Can he legally be a lein holder on my vehicle even though there are no agreements to pay on it and what are my rights?

Default Re: Can There Legally Be a Lein Holder on My Vehicle if I Owe Nothing on the Vehicle

Theoretically your father can be the lien holder on the vehicle. The lienholder is just the person or entity that loaned you the money to purchase the vehicle. Whenever the purchase agreement is fullfilled the lien holder forfeits the lien and you own the vehicle. If your father is claiming to be the lienholder and wanting to "repossess" the vehicle he is going to need to show that you violated the terms of an agreement to repay a loan. You are claiming that he is not going to be able to do that so in essence he wouldn't be able to repossess the vehicle. If you have paperwork from the dealership, or any other documentation that you do not owe anything toward the lien, then you can take that to the dmv to have him removed from the title altogher.

Default Re: Can There Legally Be a Lein Holder on My Vehicle if I Owe Nothing on the Vehicle

So, I can take just the original purchasing paperwork to the DMV and that would be sufficient to get him off the title? Because the paperwork shows me as the purchaser and it being paid in full.

Quote Quoting AudraH
    View Post
    So, I can take just the original purchasing paperwork to the DMV and that would be sufficient to get him off the title? Because the paperwork shows me as the purchaser and it being paid in full.
    No, you will need a notarized statement from your father stating that the lien has been satisfied.

1. Sponsored Links