Default What Happens After Child Abuse is Reported to the Police

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: California

In California, what is the process of a child's protection if her dad reports her mom's violent act to the police? The mom claims that she has bipolar but she never took any medicine for it.

One thing we did know was that she recently rushed out of her kitchen swinging a knife threatening to kill her husband, while their child witnessed the whole thing and got really frightened of it. To our knowledge, this woman had physically charged at her husband in many prior incidences. The husband said he fought back once (meaning pushed her back).

Even though this woman later said that she was only 'joking' about the knife thing. We think that the husband should report her to the police because we worried that she might get worse and eventually hurt others including their child.

The husband was worried that if he reports her to the police then his child will be taken away from him since he failed to take the child away from an unstable mother. Is this true? We don't think so. I think the police should take the mother away first and put the father under question... But, we really need to find out exactly what would happen if he does call so we may tell him that it is ok to report her.

We felt sorry for this weak man even though we suspected the woman is crazy... but we had no proof that the woman is physically harming her child yet. (Maybe mentally, but that is hard to prove, right?)

Let's say that the worst case is: The police takes the child away... then will the police contact his relatives (his brothers and sisters) to take care of that child? Or, the child will be taken care by a random foster home?

Thanks... we had advise this man to seek for domestic violenct hotline help... but we think that it is so embarrassing for this man to tell that his wife hit him... I think it is probably a battered man syndrome... thanks for your reply..

Default Re: Real Process of a Child Abuse Incidence

Quote Quoting songswelove
    View Post
    My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: California

In California, what is the process of a child's protection if her dad reports her mom's violent act to the police? The mom claims that she has bipolar but she never took any medicine for it.

One thing we did know was that she recently rushed out of her kitchen swinging a knife threatening to kill her husband, while their child witnessed the whole thing and got really frightened of it. To our knowledge, this woman had physically charged at her husband in many prior incidences. The husband said he fought back once (meaning pushed her back).

Even though this woman later said that she was only 'joking' about the knife thing. We think that the husband should report her to the police because we worried that she might get worse and eventually hurt others including their child.

The husband was worried that if he reports her to the police then his child will be taken away from him since he failed to take the child away from an unstable mother. Is this true? We don't think so. I think the police should take the mother away first and put the father under question... But, we really need to find out exactly what would happen if he does call so we may tell him that it is ok to report her.

We felt sorry for this weak man even though we suspected the woman is crazy... but we had no proof that the woman is physically harming her child yet. (Maybe mentally, but that is hard to prove, right?)

Let's say that the worst case is: The police takes the child away... then will the police contact his relatives (his brothers and sisters) to take care of that child? Or, the child will be taken care by a random foster home?

Thanks... we had advise this man to seek for domestic violenct hotline help... but we think that it is so embarrassing for this man to tell that his wife hit him... I think it is probably a battered man syndrome... thanks for your reply..

The reality is that if Dad reports the incident now, he's going to have to prove that something took place. His word against Mom's word.

It is true that if a parent allows the child to remain in a dangerous situation, BOTH parents can lose access to the child. But what's worse? That the child is placed in a safe location while there's an investigation, or that Dad keeps quiet and the child remains at risk?

Further, if YOU think the child is at risk - why haven't you done anything?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I totally agree with you. We know it will be his words against her words. And, we know that she is capable to falsely accuse a lot of things...

My concern is that if we don't have proofs (evidences) that she did things to the child, how can we report her? or even him?

We can only suspect her problems based on what he said. Is our 'concern' sufficient enough to report them? How about their relatives as foster care families? Will their relatives be the ones that the child will end up with during the investigation? Or a foster home?

We are even thinking to convince him to put a camera at home to catch the 'proof'... wonder if it is legal? Sigh... We think that even if it isn't physically abuse, it is mentally abuse because it is very hard to live with someone whose emotionally swing is big.

Again, I agree with you. We also think that man is mentally abused by his wife as well --- and he worries the wrong worries. Thank you for your replies.

Either way if someone knows that maybe the child is being hit or abused and so is the father, I know the state law in Minnesota is that if you know it's happening but you refused to report it than you could be in trouble.

What I would suggest is report it anonymously. Because even if you do report it. The county as far as in Minnesota. They can not say who reported it. I would just do it anonymously. And to keep track that you did say something. Make sure you record the phone call to the police or be there in the prescense of atleast two other people.

If you tell the police in person than they will have to record your name down. The thing with this is if gets any further in the courts. Than the courts can use you as a witness.

So if you do it anonymously than you can say that you are covered. But, agina I am not an attourney. So I would just take my advice for enterntainment only. Because I don't know what your true state law is.

Just because in Minnesota. If someone knows abuse is going on yet fails to report it. Than they can get in trouble.

Minnesota is not in California.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: What Happens After Child Abuse is Reported to the Police

I believe in any state you can report it anonymously. Either way they have to check into every reported thing.

1. Sponsored Links