Default How to Get a Theft Conviction Off of My Record

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Oregon

Please help, I cant get a definate answer from any web sites and I cant afford a lawyer and they all charge to answer this basic question...

I was charged and found guilty of theft 3 misdemeanor in Oregon July 2006. I have heard after 5 years, it comes off your record? And so wont come up on background checks...?

Is this true or do I have to have my record formally expunged? It will be 5 years this summer so Im wondering if I have to pay for the expungment or just wait it out...

(IF POSSIBLE, COULD YOU PLEASE PUT A LINK OR SOMETHING TO WHERE YOU FOUND THE ANSWER? I NEED TO BE 100% SURE, ITS THE HE-SAID-SHE-SAID THATS DRIVING ME CRAZY

If you'd like the back story/details on my problem....please keep reading.

The summer I turned 18 (July 2006) I made a stupid mistake and stold a box of hair dye. 8.00$ TOTAL.
    I was arrested, the cop wrote me a ticket/citation and took me downtown to booking.

I was also told by the store and given a paper saying I had to pay the store 250.00$, which I did within a few days.

I was taken down to booking, where I sat for 9 hours, then released.

Once home, I looked at my ticket/citation and saw that it had no exact date. It just said July 2006. So I called the court house and said I dont know my court date. The woman took down my name and number, said she'd find out and call me back. Which she did about 3-4 days later.

Problem was, once she called me back, I had missed my court date by like 2 days.

I didnt know what to do. I was only 18 and had never dealt with this kind of stuff. So about a week or two goes by (memory is ruff on this)...I get a letter saying I recieved a violation for missing court and was fined 800.00.

I paid a little over 300 of it. I havent had the money to pay more in a long time.

I then a few days ago applied for a job and was denied because my background check came back with a THEFT 3 charge where I was found guilty.

I was shocked. Ive called the court house and it cant be fought or re-opened because over a year has passed.
    Fine. So, I figured Id have my record exsponged. Its like 400.00. But, then I was told by a friend who has a felony that hers comes off her record in 7yrs.
    And that misdemenors come off in 5. It will be 5 yrs in about 3 months...so should I just wait it out? Or do I need to get it expunged? I have not been in any trouble what so ever sense then, so I know I can get it expunged (I already looked into it) but why pay if its going to go away in a few months? Hence my question at the beginning...But, thank you for reading the whole back story.

Default Re: How to Get a Theft Conviction Off of My Record

When you choose to commit a crime and are convicted, you get a criminal record. Your criminal record does not magically go away after five years.

I suspect that your friend is confused by consumer laws that prevent criminal records from being abstracted in credit reports for more than seven years.

Default Re: How to Get a Theft Conviction Off of My Record

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    When you choose to commit a crime and are convicted, you get a criminal record. Your criminal record does not magically go away after five years.

I suspect that your friend is confused by consumer laws that prevent criminal records from being abstracted in credit reports for more than seven years.

Thank you for having a attitude about it. I was a kid, Im not that person anymore so give me a break. Ever made a mistake in life? How would you feel if it followed you forever?

Dont respond if you're not going to answer the question. After 5 years, when someone does a background check, will it come up or not?

This site is supposed to help people get information, but it seems all everyone wants to do is rag on people who have messed up and are looking for answers. So if you're trying to make your ego bigger, go to someone elses post.

1. Sponsored Links