Default Transferring Probation to a Different State

My half-brother is currently in jail in Hawaii until September. He will be on probation for 5 years because he made a deal with the judge (originally he was going to be in jail for 5 years).

He was living in Hawaii with our Mom who has since broken up with her boyfriend and is now living on the streets and has rejected him since he was incarcerated.

He and I have been talking about attempting to transfer his probation here to Oklahoma after he gets out of jail. He feels it will be hard for him to get a new start alone on the streets in Hawaii with no clothes etc.

He is really just wanting to get a fresh start in a new place. Before we go through the trouble of contacting his PO etc, is it even worth it to try at this point? I know that most of the time they like to make sure the person will 'keep their nose clean' for awhile before transfer but without clothes, shelter, etc. he is worried he wont even be able to get a job.

Would this even be possible.

Someone changed the title of the thread so I want to make it very clear he is on PROBATION not Parole.

Default Re: Transferring Parole to a Different State

By "at this point" you mean while he is in prison, before he even has a parole officer he could speak with about a possible transfer?

You imply that he may have a probation officer despite his being incarcerated; if so, by all means, tell him to raise the issue with his parole officer.

Incidentally, nobody is sentenced to "jail for 5 years" - that's a prison sentence.

I am uncertain if he has a PO yet or not. I am mainly just trying to see if there is any way we could get this started and have it happen before he is out of prison. He would like to walk out of jail and onto a plane and just come straight to Oklahoma but I am unsure it this is even possible. Without his transfer he will be living at a homeless shelter for an undetermined amount of time and we would like to avoid it. We will have his residency established, and his college ready to go and with any luck have him a job here before he gets out of prison but since he will not have had any time to be under probation yet at that point I didn't know if a transfer would even be considered.

Also, I really don't understand what the need to correct my exact wording is for but if it makes you happy then whatever works I suppose. I am new to this whole process and I don't know the exact wording to use. I just came here for help to try and get my brother a new start in life.

Quote Quoting RobertsKitty
    View Post
    I am uncertain if he has a PO yet or not. I am mainly just trying to see if there is any way we could get this started and have it happen before he is out of prison. He would like to walk out of jail and onto a plane and just come straight to Oklahoma but I am unsure it this is even possible. Without his transfer he will be living at a homeless shelter for an undetermined amount of time and we would like to avoid it. We will have his residency established, and his college ready to go and with any luck have him a job here before he gets out of prison but since he will not have had any time to be under probation yet at that point I didn't know if a transfer would even be considered.

Also, I really don't understand what the need to correct my exact wording is for but if it makes you happy then whatever works I suppose. I am new to this whole process and I don't know the exact wording to use. I just came here for help to try and get my brother a new start in life.

Wanting a new start is admirable. But you've both got to realize that this is going to follow him for a long, long time.

What exactly is he convicted of?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I believe it was burglary 2nd degree.

Trust me, he knows it will follow him for a very long time.

I can get a list of what his probation entails as well if that would help any.

1. Sponsored Links