Default What Happens if a Worker's Compensation Claim is Denied - Can You Be Fired

My question involves workers compensation law for the state of:

If my claim is denied and my injury is not a work related imjury. Does my emploer have the right to fire because I claimed workers comp. Can they make up an excuse that I'm getting fired for another reason
    Soon after my claim was denied.

Default Re: What Will Happen if My W/C Claim is Denied. Does My Employer Have the Right to Fi

Please tell us your state. When you start a new thread, we ask that question for a reason.

Legally, no, you cannot be fired because you filed a Worker's Comp claim.

Could the employer come up with some other reason? Sure. The proximity of a firing to the time of the claim, however, would not bode well for the employer.

What makes you think your claim might be denied?

Default Re: What Happens if a Worker's Compensation Claim is Denied - Can You Be Fired

I am in the state of california.

It is my first time in my job history since I started working that I have
    Any kind of pain that I have felt. And I was just wondering if for any reason
    I was told my injury was not caused do to my type of work and that It was just
    Aggrevated at work from a previous injury which I have never had.

Default Re: What Happens if a Worker's Compensation Claim is Denied - Can You Be Fired

I'm not seeing any reason why your claim wouldn't be approved. In order to show aggravation from a prior injury, they would have no KNOW there was a prior injury. Have they asked for prior medical record?

Armoguy - at the time that you submitted the workers comp claim, did you know that it was not work-related, or did you think it was and the determination was made by the w/c carrier that it was not?

I haven't had a prior injury to my wrist and no the did not ask for my prior medical records

To cbj. When I submitted my claim I injured it on the job. But I was saying what if they determine it wasn't work related. What do I do next. If my emploer tries to take some kind of action to fire me for another reason after this whole works comp thing is over. Is there a time limit they have to wait to do so

To cbj. When I submitted my claim I injured it on the job. But I was saying what if they determine it wasn't work related. What do I do next. If my emploer tries to take some kind of action to fire me for another reason after this whole works comp thing is over. Is there a time limit they have to wait to do so

Okay, under the circumstances you describe, they cannot legally fire you for filing the claim. Ever. Even if it is determined that the claim was not work related.

That does not mean that you are immune from being fired. They can still fire you for reasons unrelated to the workers comp claim. But the hypothetical determination that the claim is not work related does not change your protection for filing the claim in the first place.

IF you had filed a workers comp claim KNOWING that it was not work related, that would be a different story.

If it wasn't work related I wouldn't have filed cause I know the consiquences for falsely claiming something untrue. As I stated before I had never had a problem since I was 19 I have been working with computers non stop. Just last week when I got the pain and burning sensation ans a sharp pain up my arm and finers with dumbness for the first time.

How long does it takes for a determination on if it was or was not work related.
    I went for an envaluatiion on Thursday this week. And I go back to the doctor next week for a follow up.

There is no one answer for how long a determination takes. It takes as long as the specific circumstances involve in the specific situation take.

1. Sponsored Links