Question Ticket for Parking in Handicap Spot - Have Placard

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: Texas

Yesterday, I received a citation for "No Parking - Handicap Zone" at work. I do have a handicap placard, but it wasn't until I noticed the parking ticket that I realized I had forgotten to re-hang the placard on my rear view mirror when I returned to work after lunch. (I had been in a hurry to get in our building to use the "lil girl's room" and it completely slipped my mind. That does not excuse my forgetting to put it up, I know; I'm simply stating the reason.) I am waiting on the ticket to be entered into the system so that I can file a plea of Not Guilty - I was told that it should be about 2 days before it's in their systems.

The fine for this violation is $510.00, and I definitely cannot afford that. While I'd really prefer to have this dismissed, I'm hoping that at the very least there's a chance the fine will be reduced. I am wondering, with the City of Richardson, what are my chances of getting either the citation dismissed, or getting the fine reduced?

Default Re: Ticket for Parking in Handicap Spot - Have Placard

What code section were you cited for?

I'm not entirely sure - the section of the ticket under Violations only says "Parking - Handicap Parking" and is followed by "5000". Would the 5000 be the code section?

Quote Quoting PuzzleIAm
    View Post
    I'm not entirely sure - the section of the ticket under Violations only says "Parking - Handicap Parking" and is followed by "5000". Would the 5000 be the code section?
    I'm not finding section 5000. But I did find this:

City of Richardson:
    Municipal Code of Ordinances
    Chapter 22 - TRAFFIC
    Article IV
    Sec. 22-147. - Parking for disabled persons
    (a) The traffic engineer or a person who owns or controls property within the city used for parking may designate one or more parking spaces or parking areas for the exclusive use of vehicles transporting persons temporarily or permanently disabled by reason of mobility problems that substantially impair the persons' ability to ambulate or who are legally blind. The traffic engineer or person who owns or controls property within the city used for parking who designates parking spaces for disabled persons shall erect vertical signs that substantially conform to the design established and approved or which may hereinafter be established and approved by the state department of transportation.
    (b) Any vehicle displaying a symbol, tab or other device authorized by the state department of transportation attached to the license plate or in which a disabled identification card issued by the state department of transportation is placed on the lower left-hand side of the front windshield of such vehicle, when operated by or for the transportation of a disabled person, shall be allowed to park for unlimited periods in any parking space or parking area designated specifically for the physically handicapped. A vehicle properly displaying the above symbol, tab or device attached to the license plate or identification card is exempt from the payment of fees or penalties imposed by any ordinance of the city for parking at a meter or in a space with a limitation to the length of time for parking, unless the vehicle was not parked at the time by or for the transportation of a disabled person. This exemption does not apply to fees or penalties imposed by a branch of the United States Government. This section does not permit parking a vehicle at a place where or time when parking is prohibited.
    (c) A person commits an offense if the person is neither temporarily or permanently disabled nor transporting a temporarily or permanently disabled person and parks a vehicle with such special device or displaying a temporarily disabled person identification card in any parking space or parking area designated specifically for the disabled. A person commits an offense if the person parks a vehicle neither displaying the special device nor displaying a temporarily disabled person identification card in a parking space or parking area designated specifically for the disabled. A person commits an offense if the person parks a vehicle so that the vehicle blocks an access or curb ramp or any other architectural improvement designed to aid the disabled. A person commits an offense if he lends an identification card issued to him under Vernon's Ann. Civ. St. art. 6675a—5e.1, as amended, to a person who used the identification card in violation of this section.
    You'll have to contact parking enforcement and ask them for the particular code section number.

I don't see any exclusions or exemptions that would allow you to later show that you had a placard but forgot to display it. Meaning, (and assuming that is the correct section) your only hope would be for a reduction but not a dismissal! (Even then, parking enforcement agencies are usually very strict, so I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you).

Good luck!

If you wish to avoid further tickets you can stop parking in the spots (you don't have to park in a handicapped spot). Alas, thatguy is likely correct ~ this may cost you $510

You may wish to contact your state reps and complain about the goofy amt of the ticket ... most all folks would not park in the spots even if the fine was only $1. Government gone crazy...

I just wanted to update this since I had a pre-trial hearing with the judge this morning. After reminding me that I need to always hang the placard, since no one can see it if I forget to hang it, the judge then dismissed the ticket. Thank you, City of Richardson. It's definitely an accident that will not be repeated.

1. Sponsored Links