Unhappy Shared Well in North Carolina

My question involves an easement in the state of: North Carolina
    We bought our home several years ago which had a shared well on our neighbor's property. Their house is now in Forclosure and they will be moving out this week. First question is: When the electricitiy is turned off by the bank or mortgage holder, we will be out of luck for water. What can we do? Secondly: I've heard from an unreliable source that the "shared well agreements" are all grandfathered in and that if that property sells as-is, the seller must provide us with a well. Is this even close to the truth? I'm so afraid we are just going to be without water by Saturday!! HELP PLEASE!
    Robin

Default Re: Shared Well in North Carolina

Not to rain on your parade, but if it was me I would be looking into having my own well drilled.

In the meantime, I would suggest calling the foreclosing bank and also the power company explaining the problem and asking if there is anything that can be done. Worst case if they want to turn the power off would be for you to assume the payments for the electric service. The problem is you don't want to be paying for electricity for the whole house but you may have no choice at this point.

What does your paperwork say about the maintenance of the well and paying for the power for it? Have you been contributing to the neighbors electric payments since you moved in for your share of the well pump? You may be able to force the foreclosing bank to keep the power on but this could take time to process and in the meantime you could be out of water for a spell. I would think that whatever is documented for the sharing of the well the bank will have to honor that but unless you force them, they may duck that obligation.

Default Re: Shared Well in North Carolina

Quote Quoting yyz0
    View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, but if it was me I would be looking into having my own well drilled.

In the meantime, I would suggest calling the foreclosing bank and also the power company explaining the problem and asking if there is anything that can be done. Worst case if they want to turn the power off would be for you to assume the payments for the electric service. The problem is you don't want to be paying for electricity for the whole house but you may have no choice at this point.

What does your paperwork say about the maintenance of the well and paying for the power for it? Have you been contributing to the neighbors electric payments since you moved in for your share of the well pump? You may be able to force the foreclosing bank to keep the power on but this could take time to process and in the meantime you could be out of water for a spell. I would think that whatever is documented for the sharing of the well the bank will have to honor that but unless you force them, they may duck that obligation.
    It depends on how long you have been sharing this well or do you have an agreement recorded and did you share well repair or install expense. lee2519@earthlink.net

1. Sponsored Links