Default How Long in Kentucky Does the State Have to Indict After Arrest

My question involves criminal law for the state of: kentucky

i was arrested on an outstanding warrant from another state that was dropped, but kentucky added a new charge on and i bailed out with $5000 no 10% in january. I obtained a public defender, and have tried to speak with him every day since then and he has only returned a single call in all this time, and i have heard nothing else. How long do they have to indict me, and what should i file on my own if the limit is reached since obviously my PD is too busy? i want to get this done with however the chips fall as the money was a loan from my parents and i want to get it back for them to pay their fed income tax.

any help will be greatly appreciated, i am at my wits end here!

Default Re: How Long in Kentucky Does the State Have to Indict After Arrest

If you were charged with a crime and have posted bail for that crime, it's not an issue of "how long do they have to indict me" - you just told us that you already have been charged.

Charges must be filed within the governing limitations period; Kentucky has no statute of limitations for felonies.

well actually you are incorrect.. i have not been indicted and it has not gone to a grand jury. i have read that it is 70 days and also that it is 90 days and i am trying to find which is which. there is a vast differance between being charged and being indicted.

In fact, there is no limit. The time period on indictment is 60 days after which you must be released from custody or your bail returned. That however means nothing, they still have up to the end of the imitations period to commence the prosecution. As long as they're not "holding you to answer" they can indict at any time.

If you misstate the facts and people are "wrong" because they rely upon what you have stated, that's... to be expected.

Again, there is no statute of limitations in your state for felony offenses.

how does one go about getting the bail money returned though? it was a loan from my parents and they need it to pay their taxes come april

and again you are misunderstanding the question. it is not how long can one get charged. it is how long between being charged and a grand jury indicting you do they have. as a previous member answered, that appears to be 60 days.

The issue being, I answered the question you asked - In case you have forgotten, you wanted to know how long the state has to indict you after you are arrested. You had a different question in mind, apparently, but strangely enough we have to rely on what you actually write. Go figure.

Ask the court clerk if the court will return the bond without a motion, or if it's necessary to file a motion. If it's the former, presumably the county will issue a refund check at some point in the future. Forty-five to ninety days would not be unusual; I can't promise whether this court will be faster or slower.

Make a motion with the court to release the bail if 60 days have gone by without a true bill.

1. Sponsored Links