Default Receiving Unemployment Benefits After Working with a Staffing Agency

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: New Jersey

Hello,
    I have been living in NJ for a little over a year. While searching for meaningful full-time work, I took two assignments with a staffing agency. One assignment lasted from July 2010 until Sept 2010. I started the second assignment in December 2010 and am still there. I am not sure when this assignment will end; it seems they are just stringing me on. My question is, if this assignment should end by no fault of my own, would I be eligible to apply for unemployment even though the job was through a staffing agency? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits After Working with a Staffing Agency

I'm not sure about NJ, but in California, it is usually no problem getting benefits after you have been working at a temporary job as long as you weren't let go due to misconduct or other disqualifying reasons.

I do know that some states require you to notify the temporary agency that you will be filing for benefits, but I'm not sure if NJ is one of those states. I think you can Google that. Some states are strict about receiving UI after working temp jobs. There may be special rules about keeping in contact with the agency and things like that.

Default Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits After Working with a Staffing Agency

I just checked and it would seem that your state doesn't have the special provisions of contacting the staffing agency when you apply for benefits. Here is a link that may be of interest to you or anyone else in this position:

Temp work and unemployment insurance.

I am dealing with the same situation right now. When my assignment at the temp agency ended, they told me work "might" be available in the upcoming months. I said thanks but I was going to focus on finding full-time, permanent work. When that didn't happen, I filed for UI. Have been receiving it for approximately 2 months now when I received a notice that there was an appeal hearing because the temp agency was claiming I quit and moved (I was looking for work elsewhere, but I never moved). I would definitely recommend contacting the staffing agency to see if anything is available and THEN applying...it seems, had I done that, what's going on now wouldn't be an issue for me. But the guy running it is also a tightwad, so that might have something to do with it.

1. Sponsored Links