Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I Purchased Insurance but Got a Violation for Failure to Carry Proof

My question involves insurance law for the state of: CA
    During my visit to LA, I rent a car from enterprise. I purchased the full insurance. The agent gave me the contract. While I was driving, I got pulled over. I showed the contract to the officer, but he denied it is a proof of insurance. I think he doesn't know anything about car rental insurance.

I received a ticket with moving violation and violation 16028(a). The total sum is 1105. I want to correct the correctable part. I sent the copy of the contract to the court through certified mail. They have received it for a month, but there's no response up to now! And the deadline is 4/11. I really don't know what to do. Do I need an attorney? I think I'm really innocent on this.

What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: I Purchased Insurance but Got a Violation for It

You don't even need to purchase the enterprise "insurance" to be safe for the CA law.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    You don't even need to purchase the enterprise "insurance" to be safe for the CA law.
    Thank you for your reply. But what should I do now?

Quote Quoting tongthomson
    View Post
    My question involves insurance law for the state of: CA
    During my visit to LA, I rent a car from enterprise. I purchased the full insurance. The agent gave me the contract. While I was driving, I got pulled over. I showed the contract to the officer, but he denied it is a proof of insurance. I think he doesn't know anything about car rental insurance.

I received a ticket with moving violation and violation 16028(a). The total sum is 1105. I want to correct the correctable part. I sent the copy of the contract to the court through certified mail. They have received it for a month, but there's no response up to now! And the deadline is 4/11. I really don't know what to do. Do I need an attorney? I think I'm really innocent on this.

What should I do? Thanks in advance.
    So you were cited for 2 alleged violations.. One is a moving violation, the other for 16028(a)... What did you do about the moving violation (pay it, plead "not guilty", request an extension...etc)?

Also, did you include a $25 payment for the correction fee for the 16028(a)?

You may want to check the LA Superior Court Website for a current status on your citation (click on the "Search by ticket number" link under "Online Services").

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Correct, assuming that the OP had insurance before .. he may not own a car.

Thanks for you reply. I asked for extension of moving violation. Should I plead not guilty for that part at the same time?
    I sent them a check of $25, but they haven't checked it out yet.

Quote Quoting tongthomson
    View Post
    Thanks for you reply. I asked for extension of moving violation. Should I plead not guilty for that part at the same time?
    I sent them a check of $25, but they haven't checked it out yet.
    As far as I know, once you ask for an extension, then the due date/appearance date for the citation (i.e. BOTH alleged violations) will be extended. I am not so sure that they will process one violation while extending another. In other words, the will process the correction for the 16028(a) violation once it comes time to process the other moving violation.

Question is, what else were you cited for, what was the purpose of the extension and are you planning on appearing in court, using a TBD as a means to adjudicate the other violation... or what???

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    As far as I know, once you ask for an extension, then the due date/appearance date for the citation (i.e. BOTH alleged violations) will be extended. I am not so sure that they will process one violation while extending another. In other words, the will process the correction for the 16028(a) violation once it comes time to process the other moving violation.

Question is, what else were you cited for, what was the purpose of the extension and are you planning on appearing in court, using a TBD as a means to adjudicate the other violation... or what???
    Wow, thanks so much for answering!
    My other violation is incorrect change of lane. I am from NJ, so we don't have the dash line when doing a crossing, and in NJ dash lines mean you can cross it. So I did an incorrect U turn, and almost hit a police cab which came from left behind. (Hell, I really don't know how could it be there!)

My problem is: I'm out of CA and in NJ. I can't appear on the court in the near future, and it's not worth it. So, what's your suggestion? Should I use the TBD? And should I also send them a check including the insurance part?

Thank you very much!

What was the other code section you were cited for?

And I'm not clear on what you mean by your description of what happened/what you were cited for:

My other violation is incorrect change of lane. I am from NJ, so we don't have the dash line when doing a crossing, and in NJ dash lines mean you can cross it. So I did an incorrect U turn, and almost hit a police cab which came from left behind. (Hell, I really don't know how could it be there!)

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    What was the other code section you were cited for?

And I'm not clear on what you mean by your description of what happened/what you were cited for:
    The codes are 22107 and 16028A.
    Let me discribe the whole thing again: I was trying to do a U turn. I changed to the left-most lane, as I proceed, I noticed that there were metal dash lines along the turning. We don't have those things in NJ. I thought I should follow the guidlines and there will be a place for U-turn. However, after I moved for a few more feets, I realized it's probably not true. Since there were no incoming traffic I did the U-turn, and at that moment a police cab appreared from the left backside of my car. I was shocked and stopped the car, fortunately I didn't hit it. Then I got pulled over and got my 1st ticket in my life.
    The story is quite long. What do you think? Should I TBD the moving violation part? Is being new to the city a good reason to lower the penalty?
    Thank you so much!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast