Unhappy Can You Be Sued Over a Car Accident With No Police Report or Pictures

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Alabama. I was involved in a minor car accident with a 18 year old student. The damages were a rear hubcap and rear wheel well.There were no injuries. We pulled to the nearest bank parking lot and got out of our cars to view the damages. He stated that he didn't want to call the police and no pictures were taken. He left the scene and I left after him. Later that night he came to my house wanting my insurance information but I didn't give it to him because it was 13 hours after the incident. Later I found out that the car he was driving belonged to his mother. He didn't give me his insurance information. Can I be sued for the damages to the hubcap and wheel well?

Default Re: Can You Be Sued Over a Car Accident With No Police Report or Pictures

You can be sued for just about anything these days. Whether they will prevail or not depends on the circumstances. Did you give him any assurances that you would pay for the damages? How did he find you. If you agreed to pay for the damages, contact the mom and work it out with her. If not, they can sue you.

Default Re: Can You Be Sued Over a Car Accident With No Police Report or Pictures

I talked with the mom at the police station 2 days after the accident and the police filed a incident report (delayed report) because no accident report could be filed due to the fact that both cars left the scene and no police were notified. There were no damages but a busted hubcap and scuffs on the wheel well. She was supposed to get a quote on the hubcap from nissan dealership that same week but she didn't let me know about it until 1 month later when she came to my house with estimate papers saying she wanted her car to be fixed in the next couple of days. I don't even know if her son was covered on her insurance or not.

It doesn't make any difference if her son was covered on her insurance or if they even had insurance. If the accident was your fault, you owe for the damages you caused.

It wasn't my fault. He failed to yield. He thought he could make it in the lane but I hit him in his rear tire.

then why were you going to buy them a hubcap? While that doesn't prove fault, it sure makes it look like you accepted fault.

Have you notified your insurance company?

If you did not report to them within whatever your policy requires you to, they may be able to refuse to defend you. If you reported it, they would provide legal support if you were sued.

If you didn't have insurance; you can deny liability. The injured party or their insurance company if they pay the damages, can sue you. You would have to hire a lawyer to defend you or you would have to do it on your own.

Let me ask

What does the police incident report say ?

If he was at fault, why didn't you call the police and force an accident report ?

Why did you not demand his insurance info a the scene the accident ?

Why did you not contact his insurance company ?

1. Sponsored Links