Thumbs down Charged With Shoplifting, 3rd Offense

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Phoenix, AZ

Hello, I am extremely worried and scared...Yesterday I got caught shoplifting and it was my 3rd offense. Arizona Law is that its a class 4 felony if you have been caught 3 times or more in the span of 5 years..well I checked my record and the first of the 3 was just one month short of being 5 years ago. March of 2006. Then the second was Dec. 2008. I know I was wrong and everything and I will never again. Two of the charges were from when I was younger and also had a drug problem, and my life has made a total turnaround since the last time i did this; i am married, with a baby boy, a homeowner, etc...it was just a moment of weakness from an old habit since our bills just increased so much this last month. The first offense that i hve on my record was for 5$ worth of merchandise- Poptarts! I cant believe they even pursued it, honestly..and I feel they should look at it differently when it's food because I was stealing out of hunger! So the petty amount and the fact that it was food SHOULD count, do judges look at that? And the second time was about 45$ of stuff, this time only 20$..so all 3 times combined didnt even equal 100$...BUT, since its 3rd offense, i am really terrified of the possibility of jailtime/felony..is this likely to happen? Is there ANYTHING i can say or do that will help my case?! I have a family to take care of, i cant be in jail! i know i should have thought of that but it was a moment of weakness and I have learned my lesson finally. What is the likely outcome of this? The first offense I did a diversion class, second i did community service, and this time..?? PLEASE, ANY advice on what I can and should do or what might happen would be greatly appreciated and help me face whatever may happen!

Default Re: Shoplifting 3rd Offense- Terrified What Now

Plead not guilty. If eligible, request a public defender. If not, retain outside counsel. I'll admit to having an occasional soft spot for food thieves but it usually passes pretty quick. You could be looking at probation or jail time. An attorney would be best suited to negotiate the most favorable outcome for you.

Just curious, did you say it was the last time when you were caught the second time? If so, maybe you need to see if there is a support group in your area. Yes, there are support groups for shoplifters...what is the world coming to. But some of them do have genuine issues such as kleptomania.

Let's examine your "it was only $5.00 and I was hungry"....so would this make it OK for a person to rob you of your wallet because they are hungry? I didn't think so.....

Since this is your 3rd time....you should check into groups, as free9man said. Some areas have "Shoplifters Anonymous".

Realize that $20 worth of stuff is going to cost you $2000+, along with another spot on your criminal record....next time you have the urge to steal, ask yourself if that is worth it....

By all means HIRE AN ATTORNEY because the outcome is ALWAYS more favorable to the defendant when you pay an attorney. this is an addiction (for most) and support groups are the medication.
    As the other members said, get into a support group, for numerous reasons... I know 1st hand that there are attorneys in support groups willing to work for reduced fees to help others.

I agree with person above. Stealing is wrong requardless but someone stealing a chance from 7-11 b.c they are hungary is different then someone robbing a person for there wallet. I do agree its' a slippery slope thou. If the diversion let you off with out a conviction this might be considered your second offense. It hard to say the outcome b.c some courts are more leient then others. Work with a lawyer and see what can be arranged.

Default Re: Charged With Shoplifting, 3rd Offense

Thank you everyone for your advice and help! i just hope it all turns out well..I agree that it may be only my second offense because the first one was, as stated on the websites public records, "Dismissed" because of the class I took..And Pandora, I never said it wasn't wrong in some ways, I meant that it should be looked at and considered a lesser charge. That's not to say there should be NO charge, but definitely a lesser one. Like someone else said, it's not at all the same as stealing from someone's wallet, on many different points. Most of all its comparing apples to oranges because that is stealing from an individual rather and a multi-million dollar corporation that is making like 90% profit on whatever you took in the first place. I know that is somewhat of a justification but its not any less true nonetheless. I would put my life on it that a place like Walmart wont lose sleep over 3$ or even 200$ for that matter. Again, not to say its right by any means but I can't lie and say that I don't feel somewhat less bad for poor ole' corporation when its one that is greedy anyway. And another reason it is different is because stealing money or anything else is different than food. I feel like, if it comes down to stealing something for 3$ or going hungry and starving yourself, MOST would steal it if enough time had gone by rather than let themselves starve...Its simple instinct of survival, I'd rather some place miss out on their 3$ i took from them than possibly die from going long enough without food. For anyone to deny that fact is purely just being in denial and being too proud...hunger is a primal urge and you do what you have to to eat. What about if it was for my kid? Let them starve or..? People don't think about these things but i do. so long story short, i actually don't feel even a LITTLE bad about that particular case. As far as the other two times with makeup or stupid unnecessary things, i REALLY regret it and none of those times were worth it, including the poptarts, but they are leaps and bounds different in my eyes.

Again, thank you for everyone's advice- any and all is appreciated! i am very scared about this but at least i know it will make me learn my lesson this time. I did used to have what one might consider a problem/addiction with it when i at one point stole more often than not, but its been a few years since then and this time was more of an isolated incidence of an old habit resurfacing..but besides this time, i really haven't had an issue with it for a few years..so i just hope the judge will consider all the factors at play here!!

Free9man, yes it was the second time last time. each incident had a couple years in between, but those years inbetween was when i started to steal more and more often and i'm LUCKY i didnt get caught more than I had...but I was younger and a very different person at the time with some bad life choices..but the thing is, and i'm hoping the judge will realize this, i have really turned my life around, a total 180, and all this was, was just a moment of my past coming back, a moment of weakness. Back in the past, i DEFINITELY should have gone to some sort of shoplifting help meeting but nowadays, i don't feel it is needed, and especially not after all of this, this time. Aside from this, i haven't stolen since the last time..i was always too scared and didnt need to, started to realize the wrongness of it. I didnt have anything to lose back then but now i have EVERYTHING i've ever wanted and everything to lose so i look at it much more seriously and thats why i am scared this time and wasn't really in the past. I hope that despite my record, the judge can be understanding and look at the big picture! In this case, it does play into the whole thing.

Stores do care about about losses, no matter if it is a $5.00 box of PopTarts or a $200 item.

Shoplifting costs retailers BILLIONS of dollars per year. That is why some stores do prosecute over a 99 cent item. Because when you have a few of shoplifters per day....that adds up....and gets passed onto every other consumer....

That is very true. The problem is, a lot of times, especially when you have little to lose, you don't care or feel bad, but that has changed for me..and also another thing is, its hard to feel bad for the corporations, but its true that people dont think far enough into it that it does effect everyone else, the consumer, even the shoplifter when they reform and start paying for things! i am glad i am the type that DOES think about that, especially now.

1. Sponsored Links