Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Stole From Walmart, but Didn't Stop for Loss Prevention Officer

My question involves criminal law for the state of Texas. I shoplifted from Walmart, and on my way out the door, their loss prevention rep who normally checks receipts attempted to stop me--I think she was tipped off by the bulging full bag I was carrying, although I don't think the merchandise was visible. She called for me a few times, but I did not acknowledge her in any way or even look at her and just simply walked out of the parking lot. I waited in a nearby parking lot, made sure nobody was standing outside or near my car, and returned and drove off with the merchandise.

Obviously Wal-mart has security cameras, and consequently, recorded footage of me taking the stuff. Worse, I am a regular shopper at Walmart, and have paid with my debit card many times.

Should I expect the police to show up at my door, and if they do, will I be booked at the jail, or just cited and told to go to court? I'm not certain as to the value of the merchandise, but it was definitely under $100. I really appreciate everybody's time and help.

P.S. For anybody considering shoplifting or who all ready shoplifts, I got away with it many times before I was caught. You're never safe. There's no substitute for not doing dumb things, and once you're caught, there's no going back. Don't put yourself in my position, this is driving me insane with worry.

Default Re: Stole From Walmart, but Didn't Stop for Loss Prevention Officer

Obviously Wal-mart has security cameras,
    I have been in a Walmart security room where they maintain their DVRs. Yes, the have security cameras. They have a LOT of security cameras.

Should I expect the police to show up at my door,
    there is just no way to give you an answer. If they got your license plate, you may have a visit from the police. If they didn't, you probably got away with it.

and if they do, will I be booked at the jail, or just cited and told to go to court?
    They would first have to identify you as the suspect. Just because it was your car doesn't mean it was you shoplifting. They will have to obtain a picture of you and the people at Walmart would have to identify you. If they can, then it is likely a warrant will be issued and the next time they come knocking, it would likely be for an arrest.

They would first have to identify you as the suspect. Just because it was your car doesn't mean it was you shoplifting. They will have to obtain a picture of you and the people at Walmart would have to identify you. If they can, then it is likely a warrant will be issued and the next time they come knocking, it would likely be for an arrest.
    I'm sure they do have my license plate. I think it's safe to say they have recorded video of me taking the items, concealing them, walking out with them, then returning with them and driving off with them. I guess my question is more along the lines of "Do you think the loss prevention officer will initiate an investigation into the incident/call the police about it," because again, if she does, they have video of me committing the act as well as my card info (although I didn't use the card at the time of the incident).

Continuing that thought, they would have to look back through even earlier footage to find the date and time I swiped the card, then compare card swipes to the timestamp on the security footage to find out who I am. Is it likely the police would spend the resources pouring over that footage to find me just to match my visit time with my card swipe, all over a small amount of merchandise?

I doubt they would do a lot of looking for times previous. I do not believe they would associate you with your card in that manner you suggest. If they went to the trouble of obtaining your plate, they will likely file a complaint. If they have your plate number, that is what the police will use to find you.

all you can do at this time is wait.

If they were to pursue me with my plate number, is there any way I can find out what the address associated with the plate is? My vehicle registration expired long ago when I was living at a different address...

your name is still your name. Does your license have your current address? If so, it is simply to put the name from the expired registration with the current address on your license.

If the license address isn't current, if there is enough evidence to charge you, they would just issue a warrant for your arrest so when you had contact with the police in the future, they will see the warrant and arrest you.

Avoid that WalMart (and any Sams Clubs) for a long while. (I'd advise all within an hour drive of your home).

If they do have footage of you, it will have been circulated to all WalMarts. There's a good chance your photo may even be hanging up, not just in the LP office, but by all employee time clocks "call LP if you see this person in the store".

And most important...just know that if you do get caught....those signs that say it can cost you $2000+...they really are not kidding. Also, you will have a criminal record that will make any future job searches very difficult. You may be entered into a National Theft Database, and that will show up on many Criminal Background Checks. So before you do it again...ask yourself if you have $2000 laying around; how it will be feel to be labeled a Criminal, complete with MugShot and Fingerprints on file.....

$2000 would be an understatement. If you can't qualify for a PD, you could easily blow a few thousand on even an average lawyer getting through trial.

Ah shit dude!! Check this out about a Kmart.

http://moon.patch.com/articles/man-c...00-kmart-theft

They traced the guy down by his license tag. If I were you, I would do like this guy, turn yourself in because the cops are gonna come looking for you.

If Kmart did this, you can be sure WalMart will. That being said, go to the store, talk to the AP/Manager and turn yourself in.
    Not worth my time...

I wouldn't turn myself in,it sucks but just wait it out,it's atlest 50 percent that if you don't return that it will blow over. It's honorbale to confess but it's not worth getting arrested,charged,having a record and the other hassles. They do ciruclate pictutres a times,they might be waiting for you to slip again. They would have to check the camera and see you come back to the car,they could of just assumed that you walked out,if they even bother to check the camera at all. Just stop stealing and hope for the best.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast