Default How to Reduce the Fine for VC 21453a

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I recently received a VC 21453a ticket for failing to stop at the limit line of the red light before a right turn, captured by a red light camera. I am not trying to contest this ticket, as there is very clear photographic evidence and video that demonstrates that the light was definitively red and I did not stop before turning. However, I am shocked by the $480 fine! I am also leaning towards completing traffic school as well since I have a clean driving record (my last moving violation was a speeding ticket in college.) Is there any way to claim economic hardship and have the fine reduced without going to court?

Thanks for your reply!

Default Re: Possible to Reduce Fine for Vc 21453a

Quote Quoting no_vowel
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I recently received a VC 21453a ticket for failing to stop at the limit line of the red light before a right turn, captured by a red light camera. I am not trying to contest this ticket, as there is very clear photographic evidence and video that demonstrates that the light was definitively red and I did not stop before turning. However, I am shocked by the $480 fine! I am also leaning towards completing traffic school as well since I have a clean driving record (my last moving violation was a speeding ticket in college.) Is there any way to claim economic hardship and have the fine reduced without going to court?

Thanks for your reply!
    A violation of VC 21453(a) carries a statutory "BASE" fine of $100 (see VC 42001.15). After adding the other STATUTORY penalties and assessments, the TOTAL fine comes out to the $480 or so (may vary slightly by county).

That being said, I have seen/heard of judges who may overlook that code section and have reduced such fines. But you won't find out unless you appear before the judge and make the request in person.

If that fails, some courts offer payment plans (although that will cost you an additional $30 or so administrative fee) or community service in lieu of a fine (that too will cost you some $$ to get set up). You should check with the court clerk to see if either of those options are available through your local court.

Good luck!
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

Default Re: Possible to Reduce Fine for Vc 21453a

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    A violation of VC 21453(a) carries a statutory "BASE" fine of $100 (see VC 42001.15). After adding the other STATUTORY penalties and assessments, the TOTAL fine comes out to the $480 or so (may vary slightly by county).

That being said, I have seen/heard of judges who may overlook that code section and have reduced such fines. But you won't find out unless you appear before the judge and make the request in person.

If that fails, some courts offer payment plans (although that will cost you an additional $30 or so administrative fee) or community service in lieu of a fine (that too will cost you some $$ to get set up). You should check with the court clerk to see if either of those options are available through your local court.

Good luck!
    Clarification: So is it possible to make an appearance in court and request a fine reduction without pleading "not guilty?" i.e. Can I appear in person to the court, plead guilty, and ask for a reduced fine all at the same time? The way the notice is worded, it kind of sounds like the only reason to request a court appearance is to plead "not guilty," in which case, I would have to post the entire bail anyway ahead of the court appearance. Would a judge be less inclined to reduce the fine if I've already posted its entirety? Also, I don't want to jeopardize the option of attending traffic school.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

1. Sponsored Links