Default Abandonment in Michigan

My husband and I have been in counseling over a new job he took. On Wednesday after counseling he told me to meet him at the mall after a meeting he was supposed to have. He turned off his phone and never showed up. His mother and sister are saying that they haven't heard from him. His father is saying that he got fired and is gone, possibly to Europe and I will never see him again. No one will tell me where he is. His employer won't verify that he has been fired.
    I have contacted the police and they have documented that he is missing.
    What should I do now?

Default Re: Abandonment in Michigan

What do you want to do?

I still love my husband. I want to find him, or at least know if he is ok. I don't like divorce.

If he has just left me what happens to all of our bills? He has our only car. Are we divorced?

Quote Quoting dingo22
    I still love my husband. I want to find him, or at least know if he is ok. I don't like divorce.
    It may ultimately prove difficult to resolve all of the legal issues in your case without getting a divorce.

Quote Quoting dingo22
    If he has just left me what happens to all of our bills?
    If the bills are in your name as well as his, he's left you holding the bag. You have to pay the bills, or face the consequences of late payment or nonpayment.

Quote Quoting dingo22
    He has our only car.
    Assuming you are on the title, that's also a problem. Michigan's owner liability laws can make you responsible for an accident which occurs in a car you own, and thus you may be stuck insuring the car. Also if there is a car loan or lease and you are named as a borrower, the lender will expect you to continue to make payments.

Quote Quoting dingo22
    Are we divorced?
    Divorce results from a legal action in court, not from abandonment of a household.

I am told by my husbands father that he is moving to Germany. He didn't know if he was filing for divorce. Our residence is in Michigan.
    1. Can he file from Germany?
    2. Or another state prior to leaving?
    3. Would there be any way to receive spousal support as he has always been the provider.
    4. Does he need to be present for a divorce? At a hearing or anything?

He can file from any jurisdiction where he meets the legal residency requirements. Property division, custody, and spousal support would normally be issues to be addressed in Michigan, absent your consent, as that's where you, the child, and the marital estate are situated. You can file for divorce and complete the process without his having to appear in court.

I found my husband living in Colorado. I spoke with him over the phone and he said he has contacted an attorney and wants to file for legal seperation.
    1. Does he need to wait for residency in CO?
    2. Isn't separation essentially a divorce in that you have to get divorced before you can say that you are married again?
    3. Is there any way to force counseling or block the separation as I may be pregnant?

1. Sponsored Links