Default How Do I Get Visitation with Granddaughter

My question involves grandparents rights in the State of: Arkansas.I've been with my granddaughter since her birth two and onehalf years ago.Six months ago my unmarried daughter moved out to live with her father and since that time has refused to let me spend time with my grandchild. I have gone to daycare and spent time with her three times a week. Every time I do though, my daughter calls the police with some unfounded stories. This of course sends the police out(nothing she says has been true) I have tried talking to her. If even appoligized for everything. I have begged, cried,pledded, everything except cut out my heart and serve it to her on a plater. My granddaughter is 2-1/2 years old and she always ask if she can come home with lala and see papaw. My daughter continues to denie us a relationship. My heart is breaking without her.HELP

Default Re: How Do I Get Visitation with Granddaughter

Until you have a court order granting visitation, mom has every legal right to refuse such visitation. On the plus side, Arkansas has (relatively) reasonable requirements that would allow you to bring a suit in court to seek formal visitation rights as a grandparent. The child has lived with you in the past and has had recurring and frequent contact, so unless mom is able to convince the judge that such continued contact isn't in the best interests of the child, you could have a reasonably strong case to seek formal visitation time. Consult local counsel and file your petition with the court.

Where is the father, is he legally established as the father, and what is HIS opinion on the matter? (Your attorney will want to know.)
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

The babys father is in and out of the picture. He signed the birth certificate and the baby has his last name. He, as far as I know, has no problem with me being in the babys life. My daughter is more upset about me remarrying and is using my husband as the reason I cant see my granddaughter, even though my new husband has been with us since the baby was 3 months old. He has also babysat her every weekend for two years so my daughter could work. She is being hateful, but I do not want to follow her example. What chioces do I have other than court?

You have no other choices but court.

Be aware that if you lose...you're likely going to alienate your daughter and cause a rift that might never heal. Tread very carefully.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

At the end of the day...as much as it hurts...you need to let your daughter raise HER daughter. Keep trying to fix it and maybe tell her that you would do anything including going to counseling to mend your relationship FIRST. You're daughter will continue to leverage her daughter in order to hurt you. Fix the hurt she has with you and the granddaughter will follow.

If I was you, I would ask if she is willing to meet with a 3rd party to help mend your relationship FIRST. Don't bring up the granddaughter at ALL. Let her know how you are proud to be her mom and that no matter what, you'll always be there. Looks like she has a valid reason in her perspective and even if you don't understand or agree, you have to understand her perspective. Even a compromise on your half like time with BOTH of them may be the best approach - without your new husband. Let that wound heal first.....

Trust me...if you get mad and go to court, you'll never fix the amount of anger she has for you. If she gets angry, you put your grandchild in the middle. At the end of the day, you will ruin BOTH relationships as the child will ultimately feel like they have to "pick" who they want to be with and there will always be a loyalty to their mom...no matter what.

1. Sponsored Links