Default Previous Owner Did Not Transfer Title

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Georgia

Hello! A vehicle was recently given to me, and it is 20 years old. The fellow that gave it to me is very generous, and just simply gave me the key to it. It hasn't been driven in a year or so, so basically I am fixing it to own it. He told me it is mine, and that the Title is in the vehicle. So I go into the vehicle, find the Title, and he never submitted it from the previous owner; their information, signature, mileage, the price he paid for it, and and the date are all on the back, he simply just didn't take it to the Title office and get it changed over to his name. Two years have lapsed since he purchased it from its previous owner; he just got a tag for it and paid insurance until it broke a year later. This makes it a little difficult, because he just gave it to me, and I have no Bill of Sale or anything (since I didn't pay anything for it). I can have him sign one and make stuff up, but what should I do?

Default Re: Previous Owner Did Not Transfer Title

The easiest method is to simply apply for a title in your friends name and when he gets it back, signs it over to you and you then apply for a title in your name. Most states I am aware of charge a penalty fee for not filing for a title within some proscribed time after the purchase but generally do not invalidate the sale.

You can contact your state's DMV for specific direction

as to you acquiring the vehicle for no charge; he can give you a bill of sale so to speak where he simply gives you the vehicle for no charge. Often times paying $1 for the vehicle makes things a bit simpler though.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    The easiest method is to simply apply for a title in your friends name and when he gets it back, signs it over to you and you then apply for a title in your name. Most states I am aware of charge a penalty fee for not filing for a title within some proscribed time after the purchase but generally do not invalidate the sale.

You can contact your state's DMV for specific direction

as to you acquiring the vehicle for no charge; he can give you a bill of sale so to speak where he simply gives you the vehicle for no charge. Often times paying $1 for the vehicle makes things a bit simpler though.
    Yeah, that is something I've considered doing. I was hoping there was a way I could avoid testing the limits of his generosity by asking him to go wait in line at the DMV. Haha. I'd be willing to pay him whatever penalties he has to pay (since I am getting it for free and everything), but there's just nothing fun about asking someone to go to the DMV for you (something he should have done anyway). I'll probably give him $100 for it and ask him to sign a Bill of Sale, and have my friend notarize it. Thanks for the input, jk.

Not familiar with your states actions but many do not require the buyer to actually present the title to the DMV (anybody could bring it in as long as it is filled in properly). Some states even allow a simple mail in procedure. Give the DMV a call to research the specifics of your state.

1. Sponsored Links