Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Police Ran My Plates for No Reason

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: NEW JERSEY

OK, really simple. Oh, and by the way - as always - thank you very much in advance!

I was driving responsibly & within the legal limit in a relatively new vehicle when I was pulled over.

The officer said that he ran my license plate & found my registration had expired. I explained that 1. no reg renewal notice in the mail 2. my last car was 16 yrs old, so I was accustomed to renewing my reg. annually during the same month - just before my annual inspection. (With my new vehicle I was told that I didn't need to inspect for 4 yrs & I somehow took for granted that that also applied for my reg.)

I received a ticket = $54 but I know that with my insurance penalties I will end up paying hundreds!

QUESTIONS: Can an officer in NJ randomly run citizens' license plate numbers when there is no cause to? If not -- any suggestions?

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME.

Default Re: Illegal Stop / Search

Quote Quoting BLIND JUSTICE
    View Post
    QUESTIONS: Can an officer in NJ randomly run citizens' license plate numbers when there is no cause to? If not -- any suggestions?
    Yes. I don't know if this correctable in NJ. Get it registered and go to court and ask. Might get it reduced/dismissed.

Not strictly correctable like in other states, but many judges will exercise some leniency if you have corrected things.

And yes, running license plates at random is what we call "good police work."

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Not strictly correctable like in other states, but many judges will exercise some leniency if you have corrected things.

And yes, running license plates at random is what we call "good police work."
    Its not good police work when it takes 35 mintues to save a victim who is fearing for her life from a burgalr is it? In a maajor city with hundreds of cops who just run plates and pull over people.Too much time running plates and not doing real work. To protect and serve!--->http://www.newschannel5.com/story/13...uder-breaks-in

Come on cops should use there judgment. if its 1 person driving the car that seems okay and they run pates that comes back expired and the person have no warrants then just move on and dont pull the person over. Waste of 20 minute stop time for a $50 ticket..LOL

Cops should use there best judgment. some stuff is so minor it isnt worth pulling over..

Now if its 2-3 shady people in the car and the plates come back bad then yes pull the car over.

Im just saying use best judgment. Some stuff just isnt worth it

Now I know stops provide some good results out of it such as drugs etc, but come on, you know or have that hunch. Some cars cops should just pass up. Just isnt worth it

Quote Quoting itsjustme
    View Post
    Its not good police work when it takes 35 mintues to save a victim who is fearing for her life from a burgalr is it? In a maajor city with hundreds of cops who just run plates and pull over people.Too much time running plates and not doing real work. To protect and serve!--->http://www.newschannel5.com/story/13...uder-breaks-in

Come on cops should use there judgment. if its 1 person driving the car that seems okay and they run pates that comes back expired and the person have no warrants then just move on and dont pull the person over. Waste of 20 minute stop time for a $50 ticket..LOL

Cops should use there best judgment. some stuff is so minor it isnt worth pulling over..

Now if its 2-3 shady people in the car and the plates come back bad then yes pull the car over.

Im just saying use best judgment. Some stuff just isnt worth it

Now I know stops provide some good results out of it such as drugs etc, but come on, you know or have that hunch. Some cars cops should just pass up. Just isnt worth it
    There is, of course, a good solution to all of your concerns about "what worth it" and what's not... Use YOUR good judgment to make sure your license/registration are valid and in good standing, handle all legal matters before they go to warrant status and abide by the rules of the road... You would not get pulled over!
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

Quote Quoting itsjustme
    View Post
    The link does NOT say the officer's response was delayed because he was off running license plates. The officer was delayed because staffing was low. This is a problem that will become more chronic in upcoming years. In my state 24 hour patrols are in jeopardy, and many cities and counties have cut out responses to many/most minor, or non-priority calls.

Come on cops should use there judgment. if its 1 person driving the car that seems okay and they run pates that comes back expired and the person have no warrants then just move on and dont pull the person over. Waste of 20 minute stop time for a $50 ticket.
    The officer certainly can move on if he or she wishes ... but, then, most the motoring public gets miffed when they know THEY have to pay their registration, but the other guy doesn't.

When San Jose PD announced a couple of years ago that they would not longer regularly stop and cite expired registrations for under 6 months (when they became impoundable) it created a firestorm of angry letters from law-abiding vehicle owners.

You are certainly free to petition your city council to encourage the police department to adopt a non-citation policy. I doubt it will succeed, but you can encourage them to enact such a policy.

And sometimes it is. The little stuff is how we find the big stuff.

More criminal activity and suspects are uncovered on traffic stops than by any other means. Traffic stops are also a potentially dangerous activity for officers, so it is not something they should undertake lightly. It is something that is done because (a) it has an impact on both crime and on collision/safety statistics, and, (b) it is what the public expects from law enforcement.

And many cops do. Some officers use minor stuff as a tool (a reason) to stop suspicious cars and ignore those they do not believe are DUI drivers. criminals of another stripe, or otherwise suspicious. Others like to use their discretionary time enforcing the Vehicle Code and make stops based on the law. That officer can choose to cite or not at their discretion.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    There is, of course, a good solution to all of your concerns about "what worth it" and what's not... Use YOUR good judgment to make sure your license/registration are valid and in good standing, handle all legal matters before they go to warrant status and abide by the rules of the road... You would not get pulled over!
    Ofcourse if we did that then you guys wouldnt have jobs would you? everybody Legal no crime.. Hum police lay off

Quote Quoting itsjustme
    View Post
    Ofcourse if we did that then you guys wouldnt have jobs would you?
    If by "you guys" you're referring to "me" and "LEOs", then you may be surprised that "I" am not a LEO...

Quote Quoting itsjustme
    View Post
    everybody Legal no crime..
    You just worry about yourself being "legal" and let the other "criminals" worry about their own...

Quote Quoting itsjustme
    View Post
    Hum police lay off
    Yeah, keep HUMming that tune until you need an officer to save your ass... Then you'd be posting articles about "where are they when you need them" like you did in post #4 above...
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

Back in the old days, cops used to have a "hot sheet" in many municipalities. Essentially a ordered list, often mimeographed, of all the stolen or otherwise wanted cars. Those who had the time would scan the plates of cars for hits on that list. When they got computers, it became much easier to find a lot more things a lot faster.

As pointed out, a lot of serious criminals are caught because they make some minor traffic offense that trips them up. Stopping those who are rightfully stopped is good police work.

As a note, we still DO issue those "hot sheets" in many agencies. Computers are nice, but we don't want the officers nose deep in the computer as it increases the chances of a crash. And the radio is often too busy to waste time running plates, so a sheet can be handy. In some agencies they issue similar sheets with names of wanted people (with warrants, or for whom there exists PC to make an arrest).
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast