Post My 16 Year Old Keeps Threatening to Move Out

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: florida
    I have a 16 yr old daughter who is be very defient and insiting she is going to move out. Ive told her if she leaves I will have her picked up as a run away. What if any legal rights do I have as her parent to keep her with me?

Default Re: My 16 Years Old Keeps Threathing to Move Out

Until she is 18, you are legally and financially responsible for everything she does. She is not a legal adult until her 18th birthday, which means she is under your care, custody and control.

You are the parent, she is the child. There is no law in Florida (or any other state) that allows her to move out at 16 without permission. That's all the legal right to keep her at home you need.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Until she is 18, you are legally and financially responsible for everything she does.
    No, not for everything. Liability of a parent turns on a number of factors including the age of the child, the nature of the child's conduct, whether the parent was supervising the child or somehow contributing to the act, and the statutory limits most states impose for parental vicarious liability for a minor's intentional tort.

Okay, I overstated; conceded.

But do you agree, Aaron, that the parent does not need a legal authority to parent their child, included but not limited to telling a 16 year old that they may not move out? That she need not be able to show the rebellious minor a law giving her permission to keep the minor at home (which I think is what she is asking for), for it to be "legal" for the parent to do so?

I strongly suggest Garden Of Eden parenting...

..and counseling.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    But do you agree, Aaron, that the parent does not need a legal authority to parent their child, included but not limited to telling a 16 year old that they may not move out? That she need not be able to show the rebellious minor a law giving her permission to keep the minor at home (which I think is what she is asking for), for it to be "legal" for the parent to do so?
    It's legal and appropriate for a parent of a 16-year-old to say "No, you can't move out" and to assert appropriate parental discipline. If a defiant teen says, "Show me a law that says you're my parent," well, I'll let her formulate her own response but she has no obligation to produce the state's age of majority statute.

Which is what I was getting at. Sorry for the misstatement, and thanks for the support.

Default Re: My 16 Year Old Keeps Threatening to Move Out

I think you need to talk to him. What's important is that parents continue to be vigilant about their teens and sensitive of the changes that are going on in their behavioral patterns. Parents, while they may have the best intentions at heart, aren't always equipped to deal with some problems that troubled teens may be facing. It's important to know when to go to professionals for help.

Default Re: My 16 Year Old Keeps Threatening to Move Out

Moreover, as anyone who has gone through the difficult experience of parenting a troubled teen can tell you, sometimes being a loving, carrying, and attentive mother or father figure just isn't enough to deal with the situation. Then this is where professionals and the programs they run come into play.

1. Sponsored Links