Default Long Distance Visitation for a Nursing Infant

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Pennsylvania

My ex and I are trying to think of an appropriate visitation schedule for our 4 month old. I am nursing her and the father lives on the other side of the state, 4 1/2 hours away not including traffic. He wants every other weekends and e/o holiday. He wants shared driving and to either meet at a halfway point or have one of us do all of the driving the one visit&the other person the next visit. I think this is way too much stress and driving for a child. What would a PA judge say if this goes to trial?

Default Re: Long Distance 4 1/2 Hours Away - 4 Month Nursing Infant with Every Other Wkend Vi

Quote Quoting americanflyr
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Pennsylvania

My ex and I are trying to think of an appropriate visitation schedule for our 4 month old. I am nursing her and the father lives on the other side of the state, 4 1/2 hours away not including traffic. He wants every other weekends and e/o holiday. He wants shared driving and to either meet at a halfway point or have one of us do all of the driving the one visit&the other person the next visit. I think this is way too much stress and driving for a child. What would a PA judge say if this goes to trial?
    Its hard to say. The distance is far enough that a judge might think that every other weekend isn't viable. On the other hand, a judge might think that it IS viable.

With infants however, visitation normally starts out in the infant's community. The parent come to the child for visitation rather than the child traveling to the parent.

Who created the distance between the homes?

Default Re: Long Distance 4 1/2 Hours Away - 4 Month Nursing Infant with Every Other Wkend Vi

I've seen babies cry from the moment they get in the car to the moment they arrive at their destination, and others who fall asleep the moment they get into a car and pretty much sleep through any drive. Where on the spectrum does this child lie?
    Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    With infants however, visitation normally starts out in the infant's community. The parent come to the child for visitation rather than the child traveling to the parent.
    That's more likely to happen if the non-custodial parent has never lived in the infant's home and has not previously had overnight visitation. I wouldn't call it a norm.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Its hard to say. The distance is far enough that a judge might think that every other weekend isn't viable. On the other hand, a judge might think that it IS viable.

Who created the distance between the homes?
    We knew each other in school and were both from different sides of the state. He filed a complaint of custody and we've been fighting ever since. The conciliator at our hearing made the plan up. Conciliator is making him do the driving in temporary order. Ex has been using his relative's house 45 minutes away from me as a temporary homebase during the phase-in period. Once the phase-in period ends though, he wants less driving because of driving, gas prices, etc. The drive would be Friday night on major highways and mountains. I just find this completely unacceptable, especially for an infant this little. I'm meeting with my lawyer this week. If we don't settle an order it goes to trial at end of month.

I took infant on a 2 hour drive around holidays and she was ready to get OUT by the time we reached our destination. It was definitely an ordeal and when I took her out she just stretched and was so cranky. An infant traveling sounds a lot easier said than done in my opinion...

1. Sponsored Links