Default Can I Sue My Ex, His Mistress and the Company They Work for Over Affair

this was a 25yr marriage hubby had all assets i worked on n off when we needed it when he started making money he didnt let me work then he abandoned us grossly this is an easy case so much prof so many witnesses Just a matter of who wants to stand up for whats right anymore This man who makes 6figures has left us to welfare and we were even homeless this past summer wile he was vacationining Who is going to show him it is a crime to abandon ignore abuse your family??? i coulnt get a lawyer nobody would wait for their money i will file this case alone or with help im in nj he and her reside somewhere in pa we arent allowed to know where

Default Re: Suit Against Ex His Mistress and the Company They Work for New Jersey

http://njdivorceblog.typepad.com/new...aw_me/general/
    specifically, the section headed Breaking Up Is Hard To Do. This attorney states that alienation of affection is not a cause of action in NJ.

However, you do need an attorney immediately. Contact your nearest Legal Aid Society, or the nearest law school; law schools often have students who will assist for free.

You say "us"--do you still have children under 18 who live at home? If so, you also need to immediately pursue child support.

Default Re: Suit Against Ex His Mistress and the Company They Work for New Jersey

First, find a family shelter or abused womans shelter and find a safe please to stay. If you have access to any assets or property, you can legally take, do so. Collect all the documentation and evidence of family finances, etc. that you can. Do you have your name on a car title? Take the car.

These organizations often have lawyers that will do pro bono and contingency work. They also know about all the programs available in your area for free legal help. They probably could even guide your through doing it pro se.

There is no way around it. You must file for divorce, ask for immediate support payments, ask for alimony and child support if you have children under 18. You must also file for full custody.

The mistress is in another state. You would have to sue her in that state, assuming the law in PA allows that cause of action. You will have a very hard time finding an attorney to do that, even if it is allowed. You would need serious funds and be able to travel. First you would have to identify her. The alienation of affection is for a law suit against HER, not your husband. First things first, file for divorce.

I do not know of any way to pull the employer into it. Maybe there is, but you will never know until you file for divorce and then your attorney can start doing discovery on his income and assets and start freezing them, plus see if there are any other causes of action available to you.

Also if you live in a community property state, you might be able to sue the mistress (again, in the state where she lives) to recover gifts given to her out of your family assets. This is if you have a good attorney and want to go all out against the ex.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    http://njdivorceblog.typepad.com/new...aw_me/general/
    specifically, the section headed Breaking Up Is Hard To Do. This attorney states that alienation of affection is not a cause of action in NJ.

However, you do need an attorney immediately. Contact your nearest Legal Aid Society, or the nearest law school; law schools often have students who will assist for free.

You say "us"--do you still have children under 18 who live at home? If so, you also need to immediately pursue child support.
    We do have Alimony and child support now, but this doesn't even cover my meds and so now i have dx"ed them And alienation of affection is not illegal but Adultery is. They were seeing eachother for at least 2yrs before. He just had enough of the Kids and the entire life and split. I am over him and the marriage but what he put us through I wouldnt wish on my dog and there has to be recourse. I have my 17yr old daughter hes taught my kids its OK to walk away from all of your responsibilites

And actually he can state what he wants it is a crime to Abandon your family. Your children. And he did that. Do you think any jury wouldnt agree?

He also states " . Nevertheless, some theories of liability remain, highly dependent on the facts and circumstances. This is true as well in the other 42 states that have also banned similar causes of action"

I am truly thankful for any advice I can receive I do not mean to sound argumentative , I just want to give everyone as many facts as I can. I realize I need an attorney I have gone to legal aid etc no help, nothing in the budget. This case even from my then 14 and now 17yr old daughters perspective of being abandoned by her father, has merit. I just need to find the right attorney

And alienation of affection is not illegal but Adultery is.
    It's a misdemeanor, punishable by a $500 fine and up to 90 days in jail. And the law is rarely enforced.

And actually he can state what he wants it is a crime to Abandon your family. Your children. And he did that. Do you think any jury wouldnt agree?
    It's only grounds for divorce.

Once again, alienation of affection is not a cause of action in NJ. That means that there is no law that permits suit against your husband's mistress (and even if there was, you'd need to prove that the breakdown of your marriage was entirely her fault). What makes you think you have any reason to sue the company they work for? Their employer bears no responsibility for their relationship.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links