My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California
I received a 21655.8(a) - exiting HOV lane through double yellow lines in CA.
The carpool exit came up, I tried to exit to the right, there was a car there, and there was a car behind me, I sped up and exiting the carpool lane to the right missing the white dashed area by approximately 25 feet.
I don’t think this story is any type of good defense; in short I crossed the double yellow.
- Is there any argument for the concern of general safety when exiting the carpool lane?
Next steps on a defense-
- I checked, and the county court location is not closer than the ticket location court to my house / work
- I think the speedy trial defense is 45 days from arrangement but you cant plead by mail because it waves your right to a speedy trial. (I don’t really want to go to court for hours to plead and then hope my court date is past 45 days out).
- I have a clean driving record for 5+ years, with a few speeding tickets before then.
- I’m out of ideas and I’m leaning to one of the following two next steps unless someone has a better idea:
1) Plead not guilty my mail, request court date, extend court date, show up, hope officer doesn’t show up
2) Go for trial by written declaration and hope no response from citing officer and then no appearance in trial de novo.
I am proven guilty…. I then request traffic school…. And am denied.
Better Ideas ?