Default When Can I Drive Again After a License Suspension

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Pennsylvania

Just about 6 months ago I began a 6 month suspension for a racing on highways violation. I'm getting very close to my eligibility date but I have one problem. I sent in my re-reinstatement fee as well as my insurance information. But when I call the 1-800 number, it says that they haven't received anything. They were both sent down to Harrisburg 3 weeks ago. I also recently received a restoration requirements letter, but the letter doesn't list any requirements. I'm hoping because my Insurance info as well as my fee have been received. How can I know for sure?

Also, how does this all work? (assuming all my requirements have been met)
    Will I get my physical license back on my eligibility date? Or will I just receive a letter telling me to go have another one made at the DMV? Should I expect a letter on my eligibility date, or is it more likely that the letter will arrive sometime after-wards?

Thanks for your help

Default Re: When Can I Drive Again After a License Suspension

After a six month suspension they will send your license back to you in the mail, as long as there is still 6 months prior to expiration.
    If you license is about to expire, you will receive a camera card, and you will have to go get a new picture.

You CAN NOT DRIVE till you get that license back in your possession!

You need to confirm they removed the restoration fee from your requirements. How did you pay? If you paid by check, you need to see if the check was negotiated. If you paid by money order, you should make sure you have the receipt from the money order (bottom stub usually) and check to see if that was negotiated. If you sent cash....dummy!

If they didn't negotiate your payment, you need to write to them and figure out where the document is. If you didn't write your license number on the check, it could be sitting on a clerks desk that did not get back from the holidays till Jan 5th. If you did write your number on the check, it could be sitting under a clerks desk and will not be found till cleaning day.

My point is, they lose these all the time, so don't expect a lot in your search.

I would head to your local auto tag agency or messenger service, and have them pay your restoration fee. They will charge you a few dollars for the service, but it will get done instantly. They can also take your proof of insurance or statement of non-ownership (that form is hosted on a site I run) and get you restored ASAP.

Now if PennDOT is telling you they never received your license to start your suspension...they lose those too....then you need more help, but you should acknowledge your suspension ASAP (another form hosted on my site).
    If you mail them to PennDOT, please use a traceable carrier...USPS certified mail, UPS letter, FedEX. Get a signature for the package and keep the receipt.

I'm monitoring this thread, so if you have more questions....fire away!

Vince
    License Restoration Services Inc.
    Helping drivers throughout PA with license suspension and Work License issues.

Earlier today, I called Penndot's 1-800 number again, but this time I waited for the computer to time out and give me the option to speak to a customer service rep. I found my bank statement from July that says Penndot withdrew the $25 fee from my account. So I was ready for the argument. Luckily Penndot has received all of my restoration requirements. The rep. however could not explain why their computer system wasn't up to date. Hopefully this can help someone else in the future who run into this problem.
    And vincedia, thanks for the response. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you for coming back to update us. It's always good to hear when people get their questions answered and give us updates.

Quote Quoting vincedia
    View Post
    You CAN NOT DRIVE till you get that license back in your possession!
    My eligibility date is in about a week and I have met all of the restoration requirements. When should I expect my physical license in the mail?

It should come back to you within 10 days of restoration of your drivers license. You should make sure PennDOT has your correct address as well as your restoration fee being paid.
    Pull a restoration requirements letter from any local auto tag or messenger service. If you have not received your license from PennDOT, then you can get your license back by going to that same auto tag service and requesting a camera card, then going to a PennDOT license location and getting your picture taken.

Please remember, do not drive unless you have the camera card or drivers license in your possession.

Seems like everything is cleared up now, but I know how you feel having delt with PennDOT myself. I had my license suspended from PA a number of years ago for failing to pay tickets. Got the tickets taken care of (that's all they were asking to restore me), paid my reinstatement fees, and yet 3 weeks later I still was not reinstated and they claimed they never got the money order I sent. It wasn't until I spent three days on the phone every hour on the hour that they magically "found" that they had recieved the money, but my license still was not resotred and they couldn't give me an exact time when that would happen. When I informed them I'd continue to be on the phone every hour until I could drive, I had my license restored in about 2 hrs. Since I had never surrendered my physical license (was out of state when the suspension happened and didn't get notice of the suspension or to surrender it), as soon as the computer said I could drive again, I was good to go.

1. Sponsored Links