Hybrid View

Default How to Remove Father from Birth Certificate

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Texas/Florida

My son was born May 2010 in Florida however we have been residents of Texas since June 2010. I regret adding his father's name to his birth certificate now for many reasons.

At 30 days old, my son was abused by his father. I need to figure out how to rid any affiliation with his father without causing a war between us. he doesnt offer support and doesnt do anything for my son. He will not sign over rights willingly and I really dont have the money to put up a fight in court to possibly not win.

I want to change his name and go from there but I am unsure of what I can really do or who can help. I dont know the first thing in making this happen or who to ask for help. I do know that I have to protect my child and at 7 months old, i need him protected now rather than when he is bigger and walking etc.

Default Re: Remove Father from Birth Certificate

I regret adding his father's name to his birth certificate now for many reasons.
    The only way to have him removed from the child's birth certificate is for him to NOT be the father.

He will not sign over rights willingly
    Legally, he CAN'T just sign away his rights. The courts won't make him do so, either.

I want to change his name and go from there but I am unsure of what I can really do or who can help.
    In order to change the child's name, you'd need permission from his father.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    The only way to have him removed from the child's birth certificate is for him to NOT be the father.
    I suppose that is not possible then

Legally, he CAN'T just sign away his rights. The courts won't make him do so, either.

I'm sure there is a way to convince him however it would have to be clever. He refuses to pay child support..and threatened to fight me for custody should I ever try to take it out on him.

In order to change the child's name, you'd need permission from his father.
    I read in Tx only 1 person is required.

abuse is on record in the state of Tx and he has another abuse record on another child in Florida as well.

yes it is documented in Tx and he also has abuse record on another child in FL as well.

Since CPS/equivalent didn't see fit to petition to have his rights terminated, the abuse is likely not going to be an issue.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting suthernmommy
    View Post
    I read in Tx only 1 person is required.
    Your source is incorrect. Both parents must agree, or the name change will not be granted.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting suthernmommy
    View Post
    My question involves paternity law for the State of: Texas/Florida

My son was born May 2010 in Florida however we have been residents of Texas since June 2010. I regret adding his father's name to his birth certificate now for many reasons.

At 30 days old, my son was abused by his father. I need to figure out how to rid any affiliation with his father without causing a war between us. he doesnt offer support and doesnt do anything for my son. He will not sign over rights willingly and I really dont have the money to put up a fight in court to possibly not win.

I want to change his name and go from there but I am unsure of what I can really do or who can help. I dont know the first thing in making this happen or who to ask for help. I do know that I have to protect my child and at 7 months old, i need him protected now rather than when he is bigger and walking etc.

Was the abuse documented? (I mean legally)
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links