Default How Can I Collect Child Support Arrearages

My question involves Collecting child support arrearages. I have a court order of Child support in the state of SC. I now live in NC and my EX lives in FL. My Children are 23 and 25. I have asked many of the numerous case workers that have handled my case over the past 12 years why a Bench warrant hasn't been served and no one can give me a straight answer. Can I do anything about getting my money. Can I file some sort of contempt of court myself? How do I have a Bench warrant served. Please someone tell me what I can do to collect this money. I have tried Support Kids.com and several others like it. I have been told that now that the child are 18, there can't be anything done but how do people go about getting the arrearages?

Default Re: How Can I Collect Child Support Arrearages

If enforcement of your support has always been and remains through South Carolina, that complicates private enforcement. You would need to get the support reduced to a judgment that could be registered for enforcement in Florida, and then proceed with enforcement through the Florida courts - but would have to be careful, if your ex- might consider bankruptcy - to not modify the nature of the judgment from one involving child support (nondischargeable) to a run-of-the-mill money judgment that could be discharged in bankruptcy. It may be possible to proceed based upon the existing order, but I can't say without reviewing the order and researching the laws of both states. I would like to be able to tell you that this is an easy do-it-yourself project, easily summarized in a few lines in an Internet forum, but unfortunately it's significantly more complicated than that.

You may be able to find a collections firm in Florida that will be willing to work on a contingency (percentage) basis, and that after reviewing the present order can (if necessary) guide you through any steps necessary to convey to them an order they can enforce through Florida's courts.

1. Sponsored Links