Huntington Beach, California, United States

Default Felony Convictions and Permanent Residence Card

This person has lived in this country since he was 2 years old and he came here legally. He had his permanent residence card and convicted a crime in 2007 (i think it was a felony drug charge). He served his time. Then in 2008, he was convicted of another felony drug charge. He did his time and obviously was immediately deported and given a lifetime ban. I have several questions. Obviously he has a bleak chance of re obtaining his green card given his current circumstances. But what if you go through the process of getting his record expunged, or sealed. And what is the process to undergo in order to even have the possibility of re-entering legally.
    What if eventually he wants to get married to a USC? Let me know what you think!

* I tried to search for an answer, but most people were talking about Visas and I'm not sure if thats different.*

Thank you everyone

Default Re: 2 Felony Convictions and Permanent Residence Card

His chance of getting a visitor visa ever again are NIL let alone getting immigrant status. You didn't indicate what state this was in, but it's highly unlikely he's going to get any expungement or other relief.

If he wants to marry a U.S. citizen, I suggest that she and he plan to spend their married lives together outside of the United States.

Huntington Beach, California, United States

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    His chance of getting a visitor visa ever again are NIL let alone getting immigrant status. You didn't indicate what state this was in, but it's highly unlikely he's going to get any expungement or other relief.

It occurred in California. And he can definitely get charges reduced, it's a legal process you can do once you have completed your parole and probation terms. (or do you mean that since he isn't a citizen he's not allowed to go through the process?) I am just not sure that if he is able to get expungements if they can still ask about the crimes even if they are expunged. I thought chances were very dim. What about getting a pardon from a state official or federal official? Let me know And thanks everyone!

Expungment does not matter in immigration matters. All crimes remain in consideration.

Pardon on the basis of innocence is all that matters. With not one but two felony convictions, why would he qualify for a pardon?

1. Sponsored Links