Default Getting a Retail Theft Charge Expunged

My question involves expungements or pardons for the state of: Utah
    I have a few questions about getting a class b retail theft charge in Utah expunged. The offense happened three years ago and it was for an item less than five dollars. It is also the only charge on my record. I was 18 at the time of the event and I did not want my parents to find out so I just plead guilty and tried to put it behind me. I was wondering if I would be able to get it expunged even though I plead guilty.

The main reason why I want to get it expunged is because I work all over the US during the summer and I have to get licensed in whichever state I'm working and when I am filling out the licensing forms it always asks if I have been convicted of a crime. If it is expunged would I have to answer yes to that question? Also when I get a background check done at BCI, would the charge show up if it was expunged. Also on job applications would I have to answer yes to having been convicted of a crime? Basically I am wondering if future employers or licensing agencies would be able to see it. I have never been turned down for a work license for any state but it takes much longer for the license to be approved than if I did not have a record. http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/imag....gif:wallbang:

Default Re: Getting a Retail Theft Charge Expunged

Read this.

Whether or not you will have to indicate that you have a conviction depends upon the laws of the jurisdiction in which you're applying for the job and the type of job at issue. Usually when you're applying for a job for which you're expected to indicate if you have an expunged conviction, the application will indicate that you are to do so.

So I am still wondering, would I be able to get the charge expunged from my record, even though I did plead guilty to the charge? Every state licensing application differs, some do not even ask anything about criminal convictions and some ask for court dockets and personal narratives if I have been convicted of any crime. I am wondering if I am able to get this expunged, can I answer no to having ever been convicted of a crime? As far as I know,no state asks anything about expunged convictions when applying for this particular license. The type of job at issue is for an home security installers license. Also, I was recently denied for licensing in the state of Texas due to this retail theft conviction. I answered truthfully to all questions and provided the requested documents.

Did you read the linked document? If not, why not?

1. Sponsored Links