Default Ex Girlfriend Doesn't Want Kids Around New Girlfriend

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: GA
    my bf has a 3 year old that is biologically his and a 7 year old that isn't. When he met his ex the 7 year old was 6mths old and he took it upon himself to take care of her. He is the only dad she knows. He and his ex broke up about 2 years ago and we have been together for 1 year now. She doesn't want her kids around me or my son and nephew because my 4 year old nephew and their 3 year old daughter were playing under the covers in his room. She was molested as a child and now saying that she is scared for her daughters. This is absurd, although she is a deadbeat with no job, no GED, used to be stripper. He works for the family business and has took care of the 3 year old who has been living with him for the past 2 years. The 7 year old lives with her because technically, she isn't his child. It is hard to maintain a relationship when she doesn't want her kids around me or my son and nephew. We could never get married or move in if he respects her wishes. He has been doing that lately but yet trying to involve me in their life such as outings like bowling, etc. But he hasn't brought them to my house since Halloween. We really think she is more upset that they call me Mommy. She had her kids maybe twice this summer and is not a great mother. She has no education, job, or money and she is probably prostituting to stay in the apartment that she has been in for the past year. What is it that he can do legally? He thinks that he automatically has custody of his 3 year old since she has been living with him for almost 2 years, but I am not sure of that. If he moved into my home she would try to take the baby, and that is what he is scared of even though she has nowhere to run to with the kids because she has no one to depend on in GA but him and his family. Her family in CA don't want anything to do with her. I am in a situation where I don't want to move on, but I don't want to be the cause of her threatening to take his kids. Which she did twice this year, and brought them back after 2 days of realizing she didn't have enough gas to get the little one to school What can he do legally?

Default Re: Ex Girlfriend Doesn't Want Kids Around New Girlfriend

What can he do legally?
    Depends.

You make no mention of court orders. Has he been legally established as the child's father, either through voluntary acknowledgment of paternity or through formal court proceedings and DNA testing? Are there formal custody and visitation orders in place?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

He has a dna test proving that the 3 year old is his but he didn't adopt or get guardianship of the 7 year old. I'm thinking she won't allow that now that she feels him and his mom is trying to take her kids from her. When they broke up she took the 7 year old and he took the 3 year old. They were never married.

Be VERY careful here, ms buttafly.

If MOM doesn't like kiddo calling you Mom - then you really need to be discouraging it. You may wish to rethink the prostitution allegations too - unless you of course have proof.

Trying to diss Mom is not going to help your boyfriend.

As it stands, your boyfriend has no right or obligation to the 7 year old. He could, technically, try to get some sort of court-ordered visitation but he'd have an uphill battle on his hands and would absolutely need an attorney.

He should file for custody of the 3 year old immediately.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I don't encourage her to call me mom at all. We have talked to her about it and told her to just call me by my real name. I think he is more concerned about her feelings and hurting her by taking her to court and if that is the case, it may not be meant for us to be together.

1. Sponsored Links