Default Department of Human Services Trying to Collect "Overpaid" Food Stamps

Can anybody help please? Any recommendations much appreciated!

2006/07 I learn from mother she is pregnant
    2006/10 son born and I fix up a room and he starts living with me
    2007/?? I start DNA patternity proceedings
    2008/?? mother adds son to food stamps (without my knowledge...)
    I always fed son and even mother sometimes.
    2009/07 I finally get my name on son's birth certificate
    2009/11/18 mother told me dhs was trying to get ahold of me and so I called them and leave phone number
    2009/11/19 DHS investigator calls me at work (something about confirming my son is mine) and when he asked me how I spell my name I knew something was wrong so I ended the call
    2009/11/19 DHS investigator talks to my employer's legal personel and claims that I gave the OK to divulge my income information (I would not have been aware of this if the employer's legal team did not contact me about it)
    2010/03/?? mother and I get papers in mail stating we both owe $8100+ to DHS
    2010/11/16 mother attends some hearing with DHS without legal council

-All of the papers DHS has sent me have had my name incorrectly spelled in several different ways (they've never gotten it right)
    -The law they are quoting applies to household members but mother was not technically living with me at the time (although she and son were put on lease later)
    -She would watch our kid and spend the night on the couch sometimes

Since mother cannot hold down a job, is already in debt to her parents, myself, and several other companies, she only pays them about $10/month.

The latest contact from DHS I got stated they'd be collecting the money from me via wage garnishing, my taxes and social security. How is this legal? I would prefer to spend $8K on lawyers than pay these DHS thieves...

Default Re: Or Department of Human Services Trying to Collect "Overpaid" Food Stamps

It's legal. The State provided aid. They are legally able to pursue reimbursement through the means mentioned.

DHS are not the bad guys here.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: Or Department of Human Services Trying to Collect "Overpaid" Food Stamps

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    It's legal. The State provided aid. They are legally able to pursue reimbursement through the means mentioned.

DHS are not the bad guys here.
    If you were in my shoes, how would you proceed?

I would request a full accounting of monies owed, and I would then - assuming everything was in order - try to arrange a repayment plan.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I would also ask if they offer any sort of hardship waiver, and if so check to see if you might qualify for a full or partial waiver.

1. Sponsored Links