Default Emancipation of a 21 Year Old for FAFSA

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: TEXAS

I am 21 yrs. old and I live with my ex step mother who by law has no custody or relation to me anymore. My biological mother died when I was young. My father lives in Louisiana with his new wife. I have no communication with him and I have tried to get his financial information for my FAFSA form so I can obtain a Student Loan but he never respones to my requests. I need to be seen as financial independent for FAFSA and the financial aid office told me I need to obtain all the kinds of letter from counselors, police reports and I have never had a police report filled nor been to seen a Counselor. I work for the Houston Police Department as a Secretary, I have a full time job, and full medical benefits for myself. I have many bills and can not afford to put myself through college and pay my bills outright that's why I am in the need for a student loan which I can't obtain till my FAFSA form is complete but I can't complete it till I have his financial information or I am seen as Independent. I need to be emmanciapted but do not know how to do that or if it's possible. Please Help!

Default Re: Emancipation of a 21 Year Old for FAFSA

This is not an emancipation question. You can submit the FAFSA without your parental information, but you are at the mercy of school's financial aid officer to make the determination. You'll have to persist with them as to what you can provide that they will accept.

Quote Quoting sarahkaitlyn
    View Post
    I need to be emmanciapted but do not know how to do that or if it's possible.
    You are already legally emancipated, and have been since you reached the age of majority.

The FAFSA emancipation clause is strictly for those who were legally emancipated as minors from the care and control of their parents. Emancipation is not a means to obtain more Federal Financial Aid. It is a means to allow minors who find themselves in extraordinary circumstances to be able to enter into contracts.

You need to discuss your situation in depth with the Financial Aid office at your intended school, and see what other avenues are available to you. Alternatively, you can matriculate after the age of 24, when the Federal government stops expecting your parents to pay for your higher education.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

There has been physical and emotional abuse throughout my whole childhood that is why I have no contact with him now that I am an adult. I have spoke with the financial aid office and they need these letters I can't obtain because I never filed a police report because he was a police officer and he would have been charged criminally and I never saw a counselor. Only some friends and family new about it but did not want to be involved because his temper was so bad. I am just trying to get my degree and I want to pay for it I just need a student loan. I do not want a financial hand out from the government.

The student loan is a handout from the government. If it wasn't, you wouldn't need the FAFSA.
    Absent some actual evidence that what you allege is true, the school and the government is under no obligation to provide aid.
    Your only hope is to continue to work on the school to see if you can get them to zero out the EFC from your father but in actuality, the fact that he is UNWILLING to contribute doesn't make it so that you are eligible.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    The student loan is a handout from the government. If it wasn't, you wouldn't need the FAFSA..

It's not a hand out form the Government seeing as I am going through my own bank. I do not want grants, scholarships or any of that. I have never taken a "handout" I believe everyone working for what they want. I will work to pay off my student loan and will start making payments they day I take it out. Yes what I "allege" is true. My younger sister and I were suppose to have social security benefits daved for our college because of our mothers death from a drunk driver killing her. My father spent ALL the money without consent. He also tapped into MY OWN savings account I had as a minor when I was in high school when I was working part time to save up money and took all the money out. I am just trying to find away to been seen as financially independent through FAFSA to finish my student loan application through my bank.

Take out a private loan. THe reason you are needing FAFSA is because I the taxpayer am subsidizing your high-risk sub-market interest rate.

1. Sponsored Links