Question Can You Get Survivor Benefits in Addition to SSI

I will try to break this into a few small questions that might answer my situation without being too tangled:

If a survivor permanently disabled child (adult) already gets SSI, lives in a group home setting, are they eligible for survivor's benefits on top of, or instead of, SSI if it would be a greater amount than the SSI payments?

What standard is used to determine if a permanently disabled child (over 16 but less than 18) qualifies for survivor benefits when the other parent dies after the child is already 16?

Can a divorced spouse who is already remarried (and/or works) who cares for a disabled child receive survivor benefits? Does the terms of a divorce decree matter in these cases (other parent provided child support and housing)?

I have read the social security website and am unclear on all of this. Is it just something that will depend on who you end up seeing that is interpreting your case?

thank you for any insights...

Default Re: Can You Get Survivor Benefits in Addition to SSI

SSI is means tested, so if they qualify for and receive survivor benefits it may affect whether they continue to qualify for SSI.
    Quote Quoting Who can get survivors benefits based on your work?
    Your widow or widower may be able to receive full benefits at full retirement age. The full retirement age for survivors is age 66 for people born in 1945-1956 and will gradually increase to age 67 for people born in 1962 or later. Reduced widow or widower benefits can be received as early as age 60. If your surviving spouse is disabled, benefits can begin as early as age 50. For more information on widows, widowers and other survivors, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ww&os2.htm.

Your widow or widower can receive benefits at any age if she or he takes care of your child who is receiving Social Security benefits and younger than age 16 or disabled.

Your unmarried children who are younger than age 18 (or up to age 19 if they are attending elementary or secondary school full time) also can receive benefits. Your children can get benefits at any age if they were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled. Under certain circumstances, benefits also can be paid to your stepchildren, grandchildren, stepgrandchildren or adopted children.

Your dependent parents can receive benefits if they are age 62 or older. (For your parents to qualify as dependents, you would have had to *provide at least one-half of their support.)
    Quote Quoting Who is eligible for survivors benefits
    Social Security survivors benefits can be paid to:
    • A widow or widower -- full benefits at full retirement age, or reduced benefits as early as age 60
    • A disabled widow or widower -- as early as age 50
    • A widow or widower at any age if he or she takes care of the deceased's child who is under age 16 or disabled, and receiving Social Security benefits
    • Unmarried children under 18, or up to age 19 if they are attending high school full time. Under certain circumstances, benefits can be paid to stepchildren, grandchildren, or adopted children.
    • Children at any age who were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled.
    • Dependent parents age 62 or older

Note: If you are divorced, you may still qualify for survivors benefits.

Our Benefit Calculators can help you figure how much your benefits will be.
    Quote Quoting How divorce affects survivors benefits
    If your divorced spouse dies, you can receive benefits as a widow/widower if the marriage lasted 10 years or longer and you are age 60 or older (or age 50 if you are disabled.)

Benefits paid to a surviving divorced spouse who is 60 or older (age 50 if disabled) will not affect the benefit rates for other survivors receiving benefits.

Note: You do not have to meet the length-of-marriage rule if you are caring for a child under age 16 or disabled who is getting benefits on the record of your former spouse. (The child must be your former spouse's natural or legally adopted child.) However, if you qualify because you have the worker's child in your care, your benefit will affect the benefit amounts of others on the worker's record.
    Quote Quoting If You're the Worker's Surviving Divorced Spouse
    If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more. (You would not have to meet this length-of-marriage rule if you are caring for a child under age 16 or disabled who is getting benefits on the record of your former spouse. The child must be your former spouse's natural or legally adopted child.)

Benefits paid to you as a surviving divorced spouse who meets the age or disability requirement as a widow or widower won't affect the benefit rates for other survivors getting benefits on the worker's record. However, if you are the surviving divorced mother or father who has the worker's child under age 16 or disabled in your care, your benefit will affect the amount of the benefits of others on the worker's record.

Please note: If you will also receive a pension based on work not covered by Social Security, such as government or foreign work, your Social Security benefits as a survivor may be affected.

Thank you Mr Knowitall for the reply.

Here is what I found out on my visit with the Social Security office.

If a survivor permanently disabled child (adult) already gets SSI, lives in a group home setting, are they eligible for survivor's benefits on top of, or instead of, SSI if it would be a greater amount than the SSI payments?

The SSI does have those means tests, can't have too much income/savings so just going on the Survivor benefit means in our case they will be taken off SSi and have a survivor benefit that is over double the SSI payment.

What standard is used to determine if a permanently disabled child (over 16 but less than 18) qualifies for survivor benefits when the other parent dies after the child is already 16?
    I was told at this point just start the 16 year old out on regular benefits since he is in school and as he approaches 18 get the disability determination made.

Can a divorced spouse who is already remarried (and/or works) who cares for a disabled child receive survivor benefits? Does the terms of a divorce decree matter in these cases (other parent provided child support and housing)?
    If you are remarried you can't get the survivor benefit even with eligible children in your care.

Having had the work done for the adult child on his SSI, did not have to reprove his disability as it was done after he was an adult and all in the records already.

Hope that will help those who might be facing a similiar situation.

Just FYI for anyone this thread applies to... apparently if, like my son, they are in a group home getting a lot of government assistance to care for them, then anything inheritance or social security death benefit over the SSI amount will be taken away.

So basically will not give him any more than before just change of the source and the date it will arrive (possible almost a month delay in our case). I suppose if I quit working and took him back with me full time I could get the whole amount for him, but not had that confirmed and just not possible for me at this time to consider that.

You might check your situation may be different if you use the SSI to support yourself.

1. Sponsored Links