Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I Support the Kids - How Can I Claim Them On My Taxes

Hi
    I'm 21 years old. Me and my girlfriend live together with her two kids 2 and 3. I have supported them 100% for the last year and 5 months. Their father can't be found to pay child support.

Can I claim them on my tax returns? My taxable income is about 25k. My girlfriend and I are both full time students. She doesn't work.
    They do have their own medical through the state. Last year I wasn't allowed to claim them even though I pay all bills. Rent,clothing, food, diapers. Birthdays, christmas.

I think that's all the information you should need? What are my options to claim them? I have no plans to marry her in the near future.

Default Re: I Support the Kids. How Can I Claim Them

Unfortuately, they don't meet the requirement as being a qualifying dependent even if you pay everything.

Default Re: I Support the Kids - How Can I Claim Them On My Taxes

In order to be a qualifying dependent, the person must be your child, step child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these . In other words, you need to have some tie, biological or legal, to the child, before you get to claim as a dependent. Until then, you're a good samaritan.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Figured as much. Does a notarized guardianship paper help?

Nope. Guardianships are only legally binding if issued by a court. You can't be appointed as guardian without mom LOOSING her guardianship. If you want to claim the child, marry mom and adopt the child. Otherwise, you're a legal stranger to the child.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    In order to be a qualifying dependent, the person must be your child, step child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these . In other words, you need to have some tie, biological or legal, to the child, before you get to claim as a dependent. Until then, you're a good samaritan.
    This is incorrect. The IRS has issued specific instructions on this particular issue. It is true that the children cannot be his qualifying "children" and therefore he would not be able to claim the child tax credit, daycare credits, or EIC for the children. However, according to the IRS they would be qualifying relatives and he could claim the dependency exemptions for the children.

It is not necessary for someone to be an actual relative to be a qualifying relative for tax purposes. They must 1) have lived in his home the entire year, 2) had income less than the dependency exemption, 3) must be supported by the taxpayer, and 4) must not be the qualifying children of anyone else.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    This is incorrect. The IRS has issued specific instructions on this particular issue. It is true that the children cannot be his qualifying "children" and therefore he would not be able to claim the child tax credit, daycare credits, or EIC for the children. However, according to the IRS they would be qualifying relatives and he could claim the dependency exemptions for the children.

It is not necessary for someone to be an actual relative to be a qualifying relative for tax purposes. They must 1) have lived in his home the entire year, 2) had income less than the dependency exemption, 3) must be supported by the taxpayer, and 4) must not be the qualifying children of anyone else.

I agree wholeheartedly and from personal experience will confirm this is correct.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Ok thanks for your help with the issue. One last question. I was able to
    Claim my girlfriend last year. She has no relation to me, we aren't married or anything. Why is it that I can't claim two other people I support?

I'm unwilling to do this but I'm curious about the marriage thing. Its completely unromantic but If I marry her right now would there be any issue claiming her kids this tax season?

Oh wow I Didn't see the last two posts. So I can claim them as dependants? As I would my girlfriend? Just not as qualifying children?

We would lose out on, what $1500 a child? Would it even be worth claiming them as a relative dependent?

Quote Quoting Dillon21
    View Post
    Claim my girlfriend last year. She has no relation to me, we aren't married or anything. Why is it that I can't claim two other people I support?

I'm unwilling to do this but I'm curious about the marriage thing. Its completely unromantic but If I marry her right now would there be any issue claiming her kids this tax season?

Oh wow I Didn't see the last two posts. So I can claim them as dependants? As I would my girlfriend? Just not as qualifying children?

We would lose out on, what $1500 a child? Would it even be worth claiming them as a relative dependent?
    It would be worth claiming them, it simply wouldn't be thousands of dollars in child tax deductions/credits. It might only be worth 365.00 or so per child. However, that doesn't mean that someone else could legally claim the children and get all those benefits....because in your situation someone else could NOT legally claim those benefits.

Quote Quoting Dillon21
    View Post

Yes, you can claim your girlfriend too (as a dependent) if your situation meets the requirements.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast