Default No Lease, Can I Kick Them Out Myself

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Oregon

I let my friend and her son live at my house temproraily so that she could find a job. I have spent time and money trying to help her but she is lazy and sits around all day, and is verbally abusive. We never had a lease signed, it was an entirely verbal agreement. They are verbally abusive and impossible to be around, I have been living out of my car because I am scared to go home. Since they have already stayed over 7 days and established residency, it is a long process to get them evicted. I did give them a 72 hour notice to move out and they ignored it. The police also refuse to do anything until I have gone through the eviction process. Since they refuse to leave, I am planning to leave their stuff outside and change the locks while they are out of the house. Since they have established residency, can they come back and sue me? What could happen if I do this?

Default Re: No Lease, Can I Kick Them Out Myself

Since they refuse to leave, I am planning to leave their stuff outside and change the locks while they are out of the house.
    not a smart idea

Since they have established residency, can they come back and sue me?
    yep

What could happen if I do this
    ?To start with, you would be liable for any damage to the property you set outside. I don't know if Oregon law applies a punishment to a landlord that takes self help to heart but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

so, since you issued a 3 day notice and they refused to comply, have you initiated the next step, filing for an eviction?

1. Sponsored Links