Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When Will a Driver's License Suspension Follow You to Another State

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Maryland

Hello, to be as brief and concise as possible, I was charged with possession of marijuana but will be entering a first offender program. Since I was charged in Virginia, my driving privileges, by VA state law, are suspended in Virginia for 6 months.

My question is with regards to my Maryland license. Maryland is my home state. After much research, and having one lawyer tell me that nothing would happen to my Maryland license and another tell me that Maryland would be informed but may or may not suspend my license, I'm confused what is correct. Does the MD MVA (DMV) get informed of my suspension in Virginia based on my first offender status? Or is this something that would go into a database but would not be acted upon unless I tried to renew my license? Either way, the bottom line is, can I drive in Maryland without issue?

An extension to my main question above: Will the MD MVA inform me if I'm suspended in Maryland as well? Can I assume it's okay to drive unless I hear otherwise from them? I don't know how they typically handle this situation -- one lawyer seemed to feel that my driving privileges in MD would remain unaffected. If MD does do anything, is there typically a delay time, especially with the holiday season coming up (this is a big question I have especially if it's okay to drive until told otherwise by the MD MVA).

Many thanks for all the helpful input you can provide. I know that you do the crime, you do the time, and I realize that I will have to pay the consequences for my action (possessing marijuana) -- however I want to know whether I can drive in my home state upon returning with a suspended license in VA.

Default Re: When Will a Driver's License Suspension Follow You to Another State

Thanks for reading this. I have an update from the Maryland MVA. They do not suspend your Maryland license on the grounds of a Virginia suspension I am told (for alcohol/drugs at least), but it may still be in the NDR. So my only question now is, if I were stopped for a traffic violation, such as a broken tail light or speeding, or something that wouldn't necessarily require jail time, can police officers access the NDR on the spot and write me a ticket for driving with a suspended license?

Thanks again.

Do not quote me because I'm a volunteer, and not a lawyer...

I would think if your license was to be suspended, you would receive something in the mail stating such.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think that is the case. I contacted the police department as well and was told that they would run my Maryland license, which would come back fine presuming it is true that our DMV does not also suspend (as I'm told) due to an out of state restriction of driving privileges. In other words, it looks like I won't feel any affects of a Virginia suspension on my Maryland license because Maryland will not act on Virginia's suspension. Does anyone disagree? This is what I've gathered after talking to a few people at my DMV and state police department. It makes sense that if Maryland doesn't act on Virginia's suspension, then Virginia's suspension of my driving privileges wouldn't affect me driving in my home state where I hold a license.

Both Virginia and Maryland are members in both the Driver's License Compact (DLC) AND the Non Resident Violator Compact (NRVC) and as such, the suspension of your VA driving privilege will indeed be reported to MD. Whether MD will decide to suspend your license accordingly will mainly depend on whether MD's statutes require a license suspension for a conviction of a possession charge (that part, you'll have to research on your own).

Here's the main page to the AAMVA website which illustrates how the DLC works... and more info about the NRVC

One could safely assume that if they decide to suspend, that they will notify you by mail. However, keep in mind that in most states, such notice is typically sent by first class mail to the address on record with the DMV. So to ensure that you will receive such notice if/when it is issued, you should check to see if they have you current address on file.

Good luck!

Thanks for your helpful post. Maryland does not suspend your license for a similar offense were it to occur in Maryland (and they also don't for underage alcohol possession based on my research), so it seems as though Maryland would not act on the Virginia suspension and that it would only affect my driving privileges in Virginia. Lastly, I have to believe that if they were to suspend my license and send a notice, it would take several weeks for it to be processed. This is what my lawyer told me. Does anyone disagree with my reasoning here? If everything above is sound, then it seems like I'm okay to drive in Maryland -- of course unless notified otherwise, which could take a while. My correct address is on file.

One additional question, if you don't mind: Can the court physically take my out of state (MD) license from me at my court hearing (in VA) since Virginia is suspending my driving privileges? It is my form of identification, and I find it hard to believe that it may be the case, since Maryland issued the license, but thought I'd ask if this ever has happened for a first-time marijuana possession charge.

Again many thanks to all who have read this post and provided input.

I feel like I'm receiving a lot of conflicting information depending on who I talk to at the Maryland DMV. One says that Maryland wouldn't automatically send a notice of suspension in Maryland for a loss of driving privileges in Virginia. And this makes sense since Maryland doesn't have a similar statute requiring a suspension for underage alcohol/marijuana possession. Another individual, who seemed to use a stronger, more certain tone, stated that my license would automatically be canceled (not just suspended) if the Maryland DMV found out about an out-of-state suspension. I find this very hard to believe and don't expect this to occur, but it goes to show that it's hard to get reliable information out of one organization depending on who you speak to.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'm grateful for anyone's input.

Just found out that the Virginia court system requires you to surrender your license after the hearing, whether it's an out-of-state or in-state license. So they want to take my only ID from me, that happens to be the property of the state of Maryland, forcing me to get a new form of identification, which I won't be able to get for a couple weeks after anyway. What if someone were to die after a similar court hearing -- no ID to identify the individual. Rare example indeed, but it just illustrates the lack of logic in this law (my opinion).

Quote Quoting dblemajor
    View Post
    Just found out that the Virginia court system requires you to surrender your license after the hearing, whether it's an out-of-state or in-state license.
    Well, that sort of answers the question as to whether you'd still be able to drive after the suspension/hearing....

Quote Quoting dblemajor
    View Post
    So they want to take my only ID from me, that happens to be the property of the state of Maryland, forcing me to get a new form of identification, which I won't be able to get for a couple weeks after anyway. What if someone were to die after a similar court hearing -- no ID to identify the individual. Rare example indeed, but it just illustrates the lack of logic in this law (my opinion).
    I understand your frustration... But you have to keep in mind that most people are likely to continue to drive despite their being suspended (you seem to be different than them in that you were at least trying to find out what the consequences are)... And if this is the one sure way to prevent those who choose to not comply otherwise, then it does sort of make sense...

Try getting a non D/L identification or a passport for that matter... Its always a good idea to have a second form of identification.

Appreciate the response. I'll update this post tomorrow, since by that point in time I plan to have my court hearing if all goes as planned.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast