Default Can the Biological Father Overturn an Adoption

My question involves adoption law for the State of: Texas
    Left abusive spouse who was running from the law about 12 years ago. He knew where I was going and I went to Texas from the state we lived in. He shortly moved to Texas. He spent no time with my child and took off and did his own thing. We were living apart at this time just in the same state. He moved and moved and moved and I lost track of him. I had our child with me the whole time. He didn't pay anything. I went through legal aid for my divorce and took over 2 years because of all the different ways we tried to serve him for divorce. That was final, I remarried. A year later he filed for step parent adoption. Again we could not locate my ex. we had gotten random emails through the years but most contained inaccurate information and threats. We hired an attorney and based on child abandoment and failure to pay support for over a year his rights were terminated and the adoption was granted. We have then gotten random emails beginning about 3 years ago and he began sending money. Our attorney stated he still owed the back support up until the finalized adoption date. I accepted the money for the back support and insurance he was to pay. He also owed family members a lot of money and I used it to pay them back as well. It was sort on and off also. It was a lot of money but he owed a lot also. About a month ago he started really harping on me to see HIS child again. I had told him years ago of the termination and adoption and he said I was lying. I told him again and he still says I'm lying and stupid. He now says he is filing for it to be overturned and to get custody of my child. He had a drug problem previously, he is not stable in his life and he was extremely abusive. I am wondering can he have this overturned? Can he do anything? He also says I have to repay the money he sent for back support.. Do I?

Default Re: Texas Can Bio Father Do Anything

Quote Quoting txfiero87
    View Post
    My question involves adoption law for the State of: Texas
    Left abusive spouse who was running from the law about 12 years ago. He knew where I was going and I went to Texas from the state we lived in. He shortly moved to Texas. He spent no time with my child and took off and did his own thing. We were living apart at this time just in the same state. He moved and moved and moved and I lost track of him. I had our child with me the whole time. He didn't pay anything. I went through legal aid for my divorce and took over 2 years because of all the different ways we tried to serve him for divorce. That was final, I remarried. A year later he filed for step parent adoption. Again we could not locate my ex. we had gotten random emails through the years but most contained inaccurate information and threats. We hired an attorney and based on child abandoment and failure to pay support for over a year his rights were terminated and the adoption was granted. We have then gotten random emails beginning about 3 years ago and he began sending money. Our attorney stated he still owed the back support up until the finalized adoption date. I accepted the money for the back support and insurance he was to pay. He also owed family members a lot of money and I used it to pay them back as well. It was sort on and off also. It was a lot of money but he owed a lot also. About a month ago he started really harping on me to see HIS child again. I had told him years ago of the termination and adoption and he said I was lying. I told him again and he still says I'm lying and stupid. He now says he is filing for it to be overturned and to get custody of my child. He had a drug problem previously, he is not stable in his life and he was extremely abusive. I am wondering can he have this overturned? Can he do anything? He also says I have to repay the money he sent for back support.. Do I?
    He cannot do anything about the back support that he sent as long as he didn't pay more than he owed as of the date his parental rights were terminated. He might not be able to do anything about it even if he did send more.

There is virtually no chance he can get the adoption overturned either. You told him about it years ago and too much time has passed.

1. Sponsored Links