Default When Is a Landlord Required to Replace Carpet

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

I live in a 2bdrm apt in Huntington Beach California. The landlord put new carpet in the apartment when I moved in 10 years ago. I've done what I can to maintain the carpet over the past 10 years, steam cleaning etc. However; it's very cheap, low grade, typical apartment carpet. After 10 years, the carpet is worn and as about as flat as tile. I know in other cities, such as Santa Monica, there are laws requiring replacement after so many years. Is my landlord required to do so after so long? The useful life of this carpet is no more than probably 5 years. There's nothing in my rental agreement that addresses this issue.

Default Re: When Is a Landlord Required to Replace Carpet

Is the issue here one of aesthetics, or of safety and/or hygiene? Should we infer that the landlord has refused your request to have the carpet replaced?

Default Re: When Is a Landlord Required to Replace Carpet

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Is the issue here one of aesthetics, or of safety and/or hygiene? Should we infer that the landlord has refused your request to have the carpet replaced?
    I'm more concerned about the hygiene/health aspect at this point. We have single pane windows and it gets very dusty in the apartment. I borrowed an expensive specialty vacuum that uses water as a filtration system and the water never stopped turning black. Essentially that tells me the carpet will not come clean.

I haven't approached the landlord yet because I want to know what the requirements are before doing so. She refuses to fix things around here unless she thinks she's going to get in trouble. And when she does, she does it cheaply. For example we have iron stair railings outside that are very wobbly and have started to rot because of age. The corners are now sharp and if you're not careful, you can cut yourself. Her fix was to take bathroom caulking to cover up the corners.

1. Sponsored Links