Exclamation Caught With Under 20 Grams Marijuana in Florida

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida

I'm not sure what details to include in the post involving me actually being cuffed, but:

I was "arrested" for possession of under 20 grams of marijuana. I was pulled over for "having a licence plate light out", not a tail light, but a licence plate light. They asked me if I had in drugs in the car, I told them yes. Completely honest and up front with the officers the entire time. I told them where it was at, and they cuffed me, sat me in the back of the cruiser, and he let me go afterwards. I have to wait for my court date in the mail.

Bag weighed out to 4.8 grams. I was only charged with possession, but they could have charged me with possession of paraphernalia. I had some GB bottle caps laying around the car they found and set on top. I was high, but I don't know if the officer could tell. Did not get charged with driving under the influence or anything.

I know what the maximum sentence for a 1st degree misdemeanor in Florida. What I would like to know though is what I may be actually looking at. I have no prior charges for anything. Will they definitely take my license away because it was found in my car? Also, do some judges give less of a sentence if they see you're in school and have stopped smoking?

Thanks for any help!
    -Fresh

Default Re: Caught With Under 20 Grams Marijuana in Florida

$1000 and a year in jail on each of the possession and paraphernalia charges.
    You lose your license for six months whether you're in a car or not.

If this is your first offense, there's a pretrial diversion you can request which gives generally a year of probation and substance abuse treatment which if you complete successfully avoids a criminal record. Of course, don't do this if you intend to continue using drugs.

How would a judge know or believe you've stopped smoking drugs just because you say so.
    Given the possibility of jail on this charge I recommend at least talking to a lawyer.

I do not intend to continue using drugs and I'm already local lawyer shopping. If I complete the pretrial diversion, will my licence still be taken away?

Hire a lawyer,I would guess maybe probation and some fines or a diversion program might be available to avoid a conviction. I'm not sure if your license can be suspended.

1. Sponsored Links