Angry Can I Refuse to Take a Paternity Test

My question involves paternity law for the State of: new york. My ex-girlfriend and the mother of three of my children has summoned me for support for my three children,which I have no problem with however she has also summoned me for support for a child that she is expecting which is NOT my child. We were never married and I am currently married to someone else,the problem is this,if I take the paternity test it is the sane to my wife as admitting to an affair that I did NOT have! The girl is delusional and stalking me myself and my wife currently have an order of protection against her and she is facing three criminal charges already for harassing us. Can I refuse to take a paternity test? And if I do can they hold me in contempt of court for refusing? Please help me my family is at stake. I can't let this crazy stalker girl ruin my marriage and life!

Default Re: Can I Refuse to Take a Paternity Test

You could object to the request for the paternity test. The courts will then, most likely, issue an order for the test. At this point you are not volunteering for the test, which should both ease your wife's mind and settle your legal issue.

On a personal note, I really don't get why your wife would view a paternity test, requested by someone that has a documented history of harassing you, as anything other than more harassment. To me, the only way that a peternity test would indicate an affair is if the results came back showing that you are the child's parent. Beyond that, I would hope that your wife is mature enough to see this for what it is: an execise in convenience. You have fathered three of her four children. This makes you the easiest target to establish care for her fourth child.

Quote Quoting NdK1009
    View Post
    You could object to the request for the paternity test. The courts will then, most likely, issue an order for the test. At this point you are not volunteering for the test, which should both ease your wife's mind and settle your legal issue.

On a personal note, I really don't get why your wife would view a paternity test, requested by someone that has a documented history of harassing you, as anything other than more harassment. To me, the only way that a peternity test would indicate an affair is if the results came back showing that you are the child's parent. Beyond that, I would hope that your wife is mature enough to see this for what it is: an execise in convenience. You have fathered three of her four children. This makes you the easiest target to establish care for her fourth child.
    Wifey not thinky likey youy lol (where's that frying pan!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sure you can refuse to take a court-ordered paternity test.

However the court will likely then find you to be the father by default, and then be on the hook for child support.

Ask yourself if that's what you want.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Unhappy Re: Can I Refuse to Take a Paternity Test

Yes my wife understands that she is a stalker but her constant stalking and harassing is bound to cause some turmoil. They don't get along as it is,because my ex keeps parading all over the neighborhood saying that we are together(me and my ex) and posting old pictures on the internet and telling ppl that I'm the father of her child which is as you can imagine a bit embarrassing for my wife. And I don't want to take the test because its just insane and I also for the same reason don't want to pay for the child because its not mine. I really just wish she would go away. Having any kids with her was the worst mistake of my life. We were never in a real relationship,we were just messing around for a few years on and off and I messed up and got her pregnant. Lesson to the guys,strap up,no matter what! And naturally she's extremely jealous of my wife because I was with her off and on for years and never married her(because she wasn't my ideal wife) and I met my wife and knew within months that she was the woman I wanted to marry and did. And now this psycho is determined to make my life a living hell. Ugh if only I had a time machine.

Legalities:

If you don't take the test, you'll likely be found to be the legal father by default. That leaves you on the hook. If you're SURE that you're not the father, the test will come back negative, right? So you won't be held to be Dad and you won't be responsible for the child. So....come on, it's a bit of a no-brainer. Take the test. Prove that you're not Dad. Keep supporting the kids you DO have with her, and move along.

Practicalities:

Look. We don't have time machines. Can't undo what has been done. What you CAN do though is change your attitude. You DO have kids with her - you're going to have to co-parent with her for a long, long time yet. I get that you're full of regret and probably a whole lot of anger - but that doesn't change the bottom line. She's going to be a part of your life whether you like it or not. It's hard sometimes to hold your head up and take the higher road, but honestly? It's worth it for your kids' sake. See, they're going to pick up on every little negative comment, look, eye-roll, scoff - they'll pick up on the negativity and what you've got to realize is that the message you're conveying to them is that you regret their existence, too.

Is that REALLY what you want?

So take the high road. Kill her with kindness, so to speak. Be the perfect Dad to your kids, and don't give her any ammo against you. Your marriage should be strong enough to withstand this, surely?

Because there's NO chance whatsoever that you're Dad...right?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links