Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Can I Own a Firearm While Living With a Felon

My question involves criminal law for the state of California.

I currently live with my parents and with my sister who was convicted of felony a few years ago. My question is if I can purchase a shotgun even though my sis was convicted of felony and we live in the same house. Most of you guys will suggest to move out but that's not an option since were both in College students and staying home to save money.

is there a way around this by me putting the shotgun in a Gun safe out of her reach?

Default Re: Can I Own a Firearm While Living With a Felon

There is no problem for you as far as owning a gun. It's your sister that will go back to jail if it is accessible to her.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    There is no problem for you as far as owning a gun. It's your sister that will go back to jail if it is accessible to her.
    I know I' am okay buying a shotgun but I' am only worried about my Sister.

So, if I have GUN SAFE in my room with the shotgun in their would we be okay?

i just don't my sister getting in trouble for me owning a shotgun.

If she has absolutely no access to the gun, she would probably be safe but what good is the gun if you have to leave it locked up in the safe all the time? If something as simple as you taking it out in preparation to take it somewhere happens, she then technically has access to it.

You really need to not have any guns in the house. It is the only real defense to the question: are there any guns she has access to.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    If she has absolutely no access to the gun, she would probably be safe but what good is the gun if you have to leave it locked up in the safe all the time? If something as simple as you taking it out in preparation to take it somewhere happens, she then technically has access to it.

You really need to not have any guns in the house. It is the only real defense to the question: are there any guns she has access to.
    The only reason i'm getting a shotgun is for hunting other than i don't care if the shotgun is always locked up in the safe.

As others have said, if she has access to it she can go to jail. Period.

If it is in a gun safe that she can NOT access, and she has none of her belongings in, then she is probably safe. But, if this is a key controlled safe and you have the key out where she can get a hold of it, and the door to your room is not regularly secured, an argument can be made that she has access.
    afe.
    So, if you want to keep your sis out of the gray bar Hilton, be anal about controlling keys or combinations to that s
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

End of Watch: Deputy Danny Oliver

End of Watch: Detective Michael Davis, Jr.

You really should consider storing it at a friends house. While this is unlikely to actually happen quite like this but what if a cop or her watcher just happened to come by the house while you had the gun out prepping it for hunting and you ran to the store to grab some ammo. There the gun sets, sis is there, you aren't.

If you really care about sis and this is for hunting, it would be great to store it at a hunting buddy's house.

I actually had a buddy in this same situation. He found a local gun shop that would store his weapon under lock and key for him and he would check it out during actual hunting excursions.

I would do a little calling around.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    I actually had a buddy in this same situation. He found a local gun shop that would store his weapon under lock and key for him and he would check it out during actual hunting excursions.
    I would do a little calling around.
    I'm not opposed to have some gun shop store it for me but there are times that my friends invite me to a hunt randomly
    and would need to have access to it to go with them.

Is it legal to have one of my buddies store my shotgun at their home? I'm somewhat hesitant to have someone or shop store

my shotgun since I know i'm legally responsible for the shotgun.

Your best bet is to leave the shotgun in a locked gun safe in your bedroom and put a keyed doorknob lock as well as a deadbolt on your room door. Do not leave any spare keys laying around and you and your sister will be fine if you comply with the three methods of keeping the firearm secured.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast