Default How to Collect Child Benefits for Child Who is Citizen of Another Country

I am marrying a Vietnamese national. We live in Vietnam. I am collecting social security now and know I am entitled to claim benefits for a birth or adopted child.

I will be adopting this child. I am running into a virtual loop. When I reach social security by 800-number, they told me I need to talk to my local embassy social security personnel.

I got as far as the front desk at the Bangkok embassy and they told me I need to handle this issue with the Social Security office, not the embassy.

However, I was told this child I am adopting would need a social security number. This would seem to mean to me that my little girl would need to be a US citizen to get a social security number; or am I wrong about that?

I need to get this sorted out. Anyone here with similar circumstances? Or any lawyer reading this who can advise?

Thanks

Default Re: How to Collect Child Benefits for Child Who is Citizen of Another Country

What type of Social Security benefits are we talking about? SSI? SSDI? Retirement?

Default Re: How to Collect Child Benefits for Child Who is Citizen of Another Country

I'm talking about benefits minor children are entitled to if a parent is a social security recipient.

The SSA website cites some of the requirements:

When you apply for benefits for your child, you will need the child’s birth certificate and the parent’s and child’s Social Security numbers. Depending on the type of benefit involved, other documents may be required.

For example, if you are applying for survivors benefits for the child, you will need to furnish proof of the parent’s death. If you are applying for benefits for a disabled child, you will need to furnish medical evidence to prove the disability. The Social Security representative who sees you will tell you what other documents you will need.

Since both the birth mother and her biological child are Vietnamese, not American, citizens, they have no social security numbers.

I'm just trying to see if there are provisions that let me still collect benefits for the child as my adopted daughter.

Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links