Unhappy How Long Does It Take for the D.A. to File Charges and Can I Also Press Charges

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Wisconsin

My ex-husband came to my house without calling. He wanted money and to sort of see our children. He hasn't seen them in over 2 months. Anyway when I told him I don't have the money owed him he got mad and threatened to take me to court. He said he'll have my a%$ thrown in jail. I told him you do that if you have to. At this time my son questioned him about his not coming over. He had the excuse of his car broke down. When my son said something like " what and you can't walk" my ex got even more mad. Then I told him that he owes me money for daycare, school expenses, and that he still hasn't got health insurance for the kids. He told me he won't pay me or get the insurance. I told him that is court ordered. Then he said he just wants his money.He was getting really agitated by then. I told him to leave my property. I closed the door. No sooner did I do that he kicked in my front porch window. He ran of course. I called the police, who took my statement. The police officer said that charges were going to be filed. The police recommended that a warrant be filed for him. He is to be charged with Criminal damage to property, Disorderly Conduct, and Domestic Abuse. I did file a temporary restraining order. How soon would charges be filed or a warrant for his arrest be issued? Also Can I file charges myself and how do I go about it? How likely would my restraining order be thrown out? I called my landlord about the window. They also want to press charges. The whole window has to replaced and it will cost about $1200.00. thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Default Re: How Long Does It Take for the D.A. to File Charges and Can I Also Press Charges

You can make a complaint, but in most states the victim can't actually instigate charges. If the person who might be charged has known whereabouts and isn't likely to become difficult to apprehend, the wheels of justice just don't tend to be that speedy. It can take months for the actual charges to appear. Depending on the nature of the charges they may have years from the incident to charge for it.

Default Re: How Long Does It Take for the D.A. to File Charges and Can I Also Press Charges

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    You can make a complaint, but in most states the victim can't actually instigate charges. If the person who might be charged has known whereabouts and isn't likely to become difficult to apprehend, the wheels of justice just don't tend to be that speedy. It can take months for the actual charges to appear. Depending on the nature of the charges they may have years from the incident to charge for it.
    That would really suck. This is a man who thinks he can get away with anything no matter what. If it takes years he'll think he's getting off easy. He doesn't know he is being charged. No one can seem to find him now. He kind of went into hiding. Also this isn't the first time I've had to call the police on him. This is just the more serious of the infractions. I'm more worried about the violence he displayed. It shows that he is alittle unstable. He always had short fuse. He also has never had any patience with the kids or really taken care of them. Even while we were married I did everything. He never even worked, he just played videos games all day. When this divorce was happening it was all about him. What I'm doing to him. He still doesn't realize it was really his lack of interest and well just about everything that ruined the marriage. I tried to make it work for 13 years. I decided enough was enough. Anyway he was My daughter said that he came to their bus stop yesterday. Of course I never gave permission and that is literally at the end of the block. My daughter asked why he kicked in the window. She said he told her it just fell. NOT true. The officer had to take photos and there is an outline of his foot. My problem is that he likes to make me miserable to the point of harrasment and stalking. As for the restraining order on him, how likely is the restraining order going to be dropped?

1. Sponsored Links