Default Canadian Speeding Ticket for a U.S. Resident

What will happen if I do not pay my Canadian speeding ticket of 30 km over the limit for $150. Will it affect my insurance?...I live in New York. Also, can the Canadian government take further actions to collect payment for the ticket from me even though I have not pled guilty or not guilty yet? Any enlightenment on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Craig

Default Canadian Speeding Ticket

If you don't pay a speeding ticket, you will be found responsible for the violation by default, and various fines and penalties will be assessed against you. If you don't pay that assessment it then becomes possible that if you return to the jurisdiction where the ticket was issued, you could get arrested in a bench warrant.

New York indicates,
    Quote Quoting New York Rules for Out-of-State Tickets
    The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles does not record convictions of moving traffic violations by NYS non-commercial licensed drivers in other jurisdictions, except traffic offenses committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec, in Canada. Therefore, except for traffic convictions in Ontario and Quebec, out-of-state traffic convictions are not added to your New York State "violation point" driving record.

However, your New York State license will be suspended if you fail to answer a ticket for a moving violation in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin. Your license will remain suspended until you answer the ticket. Likewise, drivers from any state, except those from the six states listed above, will have their driver licenses suspended in their own state for failure to answer a moving violation summons in New York State.
    So if the ticket is from Ontario or Quebec, you may wish to explore your options for contesting it, or seeing if you can get it dismissed on payment of costs.

Default dismal on payment of costs

Your response was very helpful and sparked a new question. How would I go about getting a dismisal on payment of costs? The last thing I need is points on my insurance. Therefore, I will certainly make sure this ticket does not turn into a bench warrant arrest. I plan to make the tickets effect harmless if possible. If you have any good information on dismissing the ticket on payment of costs it would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for the help.

Craig

Default Dismissal of Ticket

Sometimes it is possible by appearing in court, typically at a formal hearing, and asking the prosecutor to agree to that resolution. Sometimes it is possible to negotiate in advance with the prosecuting authority which is handling the ticket, either directly or through counsel, and arrange to have the fine (and perhaps some court costs) tendered on the date of the hearing to resolve the ticket. You may wish to consult a lawyer in the locality where the speeding ticket was issued, to see what the local procedures are, and what your chances are of obtaining a dismissal.

1. Sponsored Links